Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Any bluetooth receiver should work. And as jskarion said, the only mapping apps I know of are Maemo Mapper and the built-in maps app. Maemo Mapper is far better - at least you can download maps. I haven't been able to download a single map for the built-in app, and I finally just deleted it.
Try dl some small maps 1st, to test your set up, say, Singapore 18 Mb, once working, then just leave it overnight to dl the big map, like USA East and USA West etc. It takes some time, but it can be done. I can USA East/West and Canada, and it works slightly different from maemo mapper, in particular, it shows the nearest wifi station, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12634.

bun

Originally Posted by luca View Post
you can update it as root on the command line with "apt-get install map", though it is the same version as the one already installed!?!?!

Howdy! Thanks for the hint.
Good question.
The Map app that came with the OS 2008 is:
App v.2.2.6.377
Map v.2.2.1.347
TA2006.10

Application manager says the "update" is: 2.2.6.377-1

However, it also says the installed verion is: 2.2.6.377-1

As weird as it may seem, now OMWeather and libgnokii3 updates are doing the same thing. Application Manager has an update for them that gives the same message if I hit the "update" button.

In OMWeather case the Application manager says the one in my N800 is version 0.19.3 and the update is 0.19.4

In the libgnokii3 it says the installed version is 0.6.14-1 and the new version is 0.6.19

Any hints?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
I still can't get Map to see my BT GPS. Maemo-Mapper has no problem with it. What I don't see in the Map UI is where it is actually searching. MM shows a bar initially where it is searching for a GPS and then after it finds it, it shows the progress in acquiring satellites.

I was able to download the map of Russia (the only reason I did it was because it was relatively small). I prefer MM because of its flexibility but It would be nice to download just two map files of the US and have everything there at all zoom levels. I think Map is vector based whereas MM is image based. It's comforting to know that I can go anywhere in the world and get a google maps download of the area for free. Google has an interest in constantly updating its maps. Map is useless to me if it can't see my gps. The only problem with MM and google maps is the process of downloading and figuring out what I have is chaotic.

I'm trying to get my 4GB SDHC card recognized. If I can do that, I'll put the two US maps on it along with everything I want for MM. Without a GPS connection, Map will at least give me an electronic map of the US that I can pan around and zoom into.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, AL, USA
I'm downloading the USA East map -- for the 4th time. I technically had sufficient space (>733MB) on my card, but based on this thread, I've cleaned that up to about 1.5GB free. I hope that works! (It's at about 55% or so through downloading this time...)

Just wanted to add my success with my GPS working with Map -- it's a TomTom Wireless GPS Mk II. It connected straight away with the N800 (running OS2008) and the Map program sees it just fine. (I originally bought it to work with TT Nav 5 that I ran on my Tapwave Zodiac, which worked great. Until I dropped it. And the second one I got off eBay worked. Until the charging circuit killed my battery. )

So I picked up an N800 at CompUSA yesterday for 40% off. Schweet! I'm loving how well it's working out. And I'm really glad to have found this forum!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seacoast, NH
After doing the internal/external card swap thing (remove 128 meg card, and install 4 gig card), I was able to download US East and West maps OK.

I use a globalTop G66 BT gps device. Works GREAT! I love the small size, about the size of an iPod Nano. Only wish that turning it on was a bit harder (longer delay on touch button) as it comes on too easily.

I have been using the free map trial for 5 days now and did an 800 mile round-trip and it worked just fine. So far the only complaint I have about 'map' is that it does not handle parking lots or driveways very well. For instance, if I pulled in to a destination/waypoint and I tell it to create a route to another destination, it comes up with this lame message that says I need to move closer to a road before it will create a route. I have used a PC (with Delorme) and Garmin devices before and they could handle this issue without a problem.

Hmmm... I have a similar, but worse problem.
I have an IBlue GPS unit, which has been working great with Maemo Mapper on my n800 with OS 2007.
I then installed OS 2008, and both the Map application and Maemo Mapper have a very hard time keeping the Bluetooth connection with the GPS unit.
The GPS unit itself seems to be working fine (the led shows that it keeps the fix constantly, as usual), but both apps (I never use them simultaneously, I just keep testing both!) cannot keep the fix.
Map just says that the GPS signal is lost (contradicting the unit that shows a fix with the blinking led), while Maemo Mapper says that it lost the connection with the unit.
Anybody knows if OS 2008 changed anything significant about Bluetooth handling?

Thanks,
Massimiliano

I haven't seen that problem. Bluetooth and GPS both seem to work the same in 2008 as they did in 2007, at least on my N800.

I have a Garmin GPS10 which worked with MM under OS2007, but after upgrading to OS2008, it would not work with either MM or Map. I could pair it with the N800, and display my locaton using the Control Panel GPS app, but neither MM nor Map could get a fix (MM would flash "invalid NMEA data). I have since purchased a Globaltop G33 based on a MTK 51 channel chipset and it is fantastic. Super fast in acquisition and super sensitive. It locks on eight satellites in the bedroom with only a relatively small window (good thing too, because my wife says I'm lost in the bedroom, now maybe I can find my way around, by marking the best spots, like geocaching).

Last edited by sebring; 2008-01-26 at 16:38.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Flint MI
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Just wanted to add my success with my GPS working with Map -- it's a TomTom Wireless GPS Mk II. It connected straight away with the N800 (running OS2008) and the Map program sees it just fine.
Can you tell me the procedure you used to connect the two? I'm trying to connect a TomTom Mk II to a 770 running OS2007HE. I can't get the Nokia to recognize the Mk II .

Matt "Santa" Howe