Posts: 14 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ ukiah,ca
sorry only been following this thread..

Anyone else not trusting the battery charging? I plugged it in at 10% last night and woke up with it at 7%. I quickly reflashed back to Maemo just so I could recharge it all morning, but I'm nervous that I'm going to wake to a completely dead battery one day and not be able to reflash back to Maemo.

Originally Posted by EasternPA View Post
so while Maemo is an option on the
shutdown menu, no is not a seamless reboot at this time.
You can reboot to Maemo in "some way" is good enough. I got an iPhone last week, so this isn't such a big deal and I might wait, but good to know anyway.

Originally Posted by memson View Post
You can reboot to Maemo in "some way" is good enough. I got an iPhone last week, so this isn't such a big deal and I might wait, but good to know anyway.
Switching between Nitdroid and Maemo is painless and takes under 2 minutes so long as you have your Linux host handy and the usb cable dangling from it. Power down the nit, run the appropriate nitdroid flasher depending on which direction you wish to switch, hook up the cable, boot the nit up in flash mode, and the flash takes under 5 seconds on my CentOS 5 box. But switching OSes while I'm away from my linux host? Not unless someone can post Windows instructions.

Booting ubuntu live on my thinkpad failed to detect the wifi or the RJ. No internet, no flashing. I would love to see a bootable USB key specifically for this project. I forgot to try Knoppix now that I think about it. Maybe Gentoo as well. I need to be able to flash from my laptop.

You misunderstand, I don't want to reflash I just want to be able to boot to Maemo if Nitdroid is installed.. I though Solca had mentioned that was in the release he did after Christmas. I thought it was planned to boot to Maemo, but that you'd need to boot to Android first and then Maemo.

I don't have LINUX installed anymore as it imploded (hard drive died in the machine) and so I'd be using OS X to flash.

Oh hey.. yeah i understood clearly.. that's why I clarified it for you. It appeared that you thought we can switch back and forth somewhat painlessly, but there is a 5 second flash still in the process no matter which way you want to switch. No soft switching at all yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to EasternPA For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macit View Post
Newbie question... I used the nitdroid_complete.sh script (thanks jakemaheu). It went fine all the way to "cleanup complete". I got the R&D mode screen, unplugged the USB, got the black screen and then got the NITDROID logo, but it got stuck there.

I tried doing the whole thing over again but still - no luck.

Any ideas?
I got it to work...

The issues I had (btw, all are due to me being newbie... )
1. I used Mandriva. It doesn't come with 'sudo' by default. I had to install it. (took me sometime to figure it out..)
2. My N800 was turned off in the first few attempts...
3. The whole sfdisk part just refused to work using the complete script. I had to run it manually using the "easy-guide" (thanks jakemaheu again).

It works!!! and it is beautiful. Thanks Solca and thank you all for your AMAZING work!

Originally Posted by EasternPA View Post
Anyone else not trusting the battery charging? I plugged it in at 10% last night and woke up with it at 7%. I quickly reflashed back to Maemo just so I could recharge it all morning, but I'm nervous that I'm going to wake to a completely dead battery one day and not be able to reflash back to Maemo.
It seems I have the same problem, battery doesn't seem to be charging. (Or the battery meter doesn't show the right levels, but I think that's not the case because the device powers off a few minutes after I disconnect the charger)

Something does get very hot though, but that might also be wifi outputting on full power. (It tends to get hot in Maemo also on full TX power)

Originally Posted by whouweling View Post
It seems I have the same problem, battery doesn't seem to be charging. (Or the battery meter doesn't show the right levels, but I think that's not the case because the device powers off a few minutes after I disconnect the charger)
I heard confirmation that the device does not charge (nor discharge, interestingly) when power is applied under nitdroid. I just flash it back to maemo before charging it overnight. Takes literally 15 seconds or less, and another 15 to switch back in the morning.

I noticed this in an earlier version of NITdroid (haven't tried in a couple of weeks)
Try a neat trick:
1) connect to power
2) boot NITdroid
3) then remove battery

IIRC, NITdroid won't boot w/o a battery, but will run w/o it (Maemo doesn't).
Don't flame me if this doesn't work
Oh, and many many thanks to Solca.

EDIT:
Can't remember, but I'm almost certain NITdroid did charge the battery. When I had it in, that is

Last edited by nadavwr; 2009-01-17 at 03:11.

Tags
android, nitdroid