Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
I have not upgraded either OS to diablo, so this may be the problem. I know I'll lose the ability to boot from SD if I upgrade and finding the instructions to set everything up again is a pain, so I have just avoided it. I guess if I want to listen to audiobooks on the N800 this is what I have to do.
Are you running chinook or OS2007 then? Have you installed all dependencies that are listed on the website?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
anything that has this much trouble installing isn't worth it. another example proving my point about open source software. get an ipod touch or a creative zev v to listen to audio books.

The Following User Says Thank You to TokyoDan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Are you running chinook or OS2007 then? Have you installed all dependencies that are listed on the website?
I am using chinook. I will check the dependencies.

Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
anything that has this much trouble installing isn't worth it. another example proving my point about open source software. get an ipod touch or a creative zev v to listen to audio books.
That's a great idea. You should definitely do that.

This thread has been about how to get the development version running, not how to install the app. Installing the app is easy as any other in the extras repository.

And, it would be as much trouble to get the development version of any software running. Even more trouble for those apps that must be compiled.

Thanks for pooping on our thread without reading or understanding it first.

The Following User Says Thank You to MattZTexasu For This Useful Post:
I am using chinook. I will check the dependencies.
I have been looking all over the place and have to admit defeat. I cannot find a list of dependencies. If you could point me the way it would be appreciated.
Sorry to be making such a meal out of this but I am very interested in this project. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and a getting a good player for the N800 is a big deal to me.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I have been looking all over the place and have to admit defeat. I cannot find a list of dependencies. If you could point me the way it would be appreciated.
Sorry to be making such a meal out of this but I am very interested in this project. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and a getting a good player for the N800 is a big deal to me.
The dependencies are not easy to find, I admit (have to look at the package description in the repository):

python2.5, python2.5-gtk2, python2.5-gstreamer, python2.5-dbus, python2.5-hildon

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
The dependencies are not easy to find, I admit (have to look at the package description in the repository):

python2.5, python2.5-gtk2, python2.5-gstreamer, python2.5-dbus, python2.5-hildon
To put it short: python2.5-runtime

Installing this meta-package should install all the mentioned dependencies.

I installed something called "Python development environment" from Maemo downloads and though it is described as a meta package it did not seem to install the required dependencies (checked in application manager). The only things listed as python related are
python 2.5 feedparser
python 2.5 pyinotify
Obviously I am either not installing the right package or not using the right program to check dependencies. Probably both. Should I be using something called "Package View" to check for the presences of dependencies? Where is Python2.5-runtime? Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Python development environment is not the right package, unfortunately.
python2.5-runtime is not visible in the application manager by default.

The easiest way to get it installed would be to install another application that lists python2.5-runtime as a dependency. If Panucci doesn't, then I'd consider that a bug in the Panucci packaging. MediaBox is an application that lists python2.5-runtime as dependency, for instance.

I have Media Box installed, so I should have all the necessary dependencies. I seem to have exhausted my options so I am officially Giving Up®. I will wait for the official release. Thanks for the help, but I think there is too large a gap (canyon?) in my knowledge in this particular area.

Tags
barbiestrsand