Active Topics

This may sound stupid, but I had the same problem, after I had played with my new n800 for a week or so, and I turned it OFF and ON and the problem went away. Had to be some kind of software conflict, because it has not happened again yet.

Randy

The Following User Says Thank You to rnfuller For This Useful Post:
Ok I just found Xterm and tried some tests.

Using "gconfedit -t bool -s /system/osso/af/camera-is-out " I get true when the camera is out and false when camera is in. Looks like the N800 knows what position the camera is in.

But is won't start up the application when it is popped out.

Here are the results from "cameratest"

$ cameratest

cameratest[1785]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_eleme nt_abort_state: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' fai led

cameratest[1785]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib - g_static_rec_m utex_unlock: assertion `mutex' failed

cameratest[1785]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_eleme nt_get_state: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' faile d

cameratest[1785]: camera-engine.c:1217: The state change is 0

cameratest[1785]: camera-engine.c:1221: Unable to show i dleview

cameratest[1785]: camera-engine.c:1222: Ends activate_en gine_idle_view by returning false

cameratest[1785]: camera-engine.c:1739: Ends camera_engi ne_set_state

cameratest[1785]: Unable to set state to streaming

cameratest[1785]: Start Function-- camera_engine_clear_e ngine --

cameratest[1785]: End Function--camera_engine_clear_eng ine --

cameratest[1785]: Start Function-- camera_engine_error - -

cameratest[1785]: Should not come here --

cameratest[1785]: End Function-- camera_engine_error --

cameratest[1785]: camera application launch error

Does this give anyone some more insite into the issue?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Camera Engine Error. Hmm...

I had a hard time reconnecting my camera when I disassembled my N800. What I had to do was pop out the camera, rotate it forward to extend the ribbon cable, then snap it into the VERY small and delicate connector. It is possible that the previous owner manhandled it and dislodged the camera itself. I believe the camera pop-out switch is a magnetic switch of some kind because running a magnet over the device turns on the camera. I do not know if that is attached to or independent of the ribbon cable, but I assume it is attached (meaning the ribbon cable is still connected in your case.)

Still - If you discount any potential software issues, you may consider looking at hardware. I hope this old post helps:

http://tabletblog.com/2007/01/nokia-...eassembly.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
I am not sure if software is totally ruled out. If the N800 can sense if the camera is in or out with "gconfedit -t bool -s /system/osso/af/camera-is-out ". Why doesn't it start the internet call application when the camera is poped out? ( the program is set for this option)

One more new problem. I Installed the FM radio application and guess what. The application runs perfectly except no audio in both the speakers and the headphones. Other application with audio work fine. And yes I have turn up all the volume controls and the speakers are unmuted.

any ideas?

My camera is not working either but the symptons are different. It says camera is unavailable because the device is being accessed by another app. Also, when I try to see the gallery, the files scroll up and down and then disappears. In every other way, the tablet works without a problem. Am using Diablo.

Any help on this would be great and the comments here have been terrific.

You may be able to find a replacement camera module for $20 here:

http://www.tessco.com/products/bmd/l...withinDays=all