Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
Guess I shoulda read the fine print!
Thanks, General!

Suggestion (sorry if it was posted, I don't have time to go through all 25 pages of this thread): add a fast switch between "display stays lit when charging" and "never" (now only accessible through Settings > Display). I use this quite often cause when I'm at home the n800 is charging all the time (and I use it parallel with my pc) but at night i would like to have a fast switch to just turn the display off .

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
Suggestion (sorry if it was posted, I don't have time to go through all 25 pages of this thread): add a fast switch between "display stays lit when charging" and "never" (now only accessible through Settings > Display). I use this quite often cause when I'm at home the n800 is charging all the time (and I use it parallel with my pc) but at night i would like to have a fast switch to just turn the display off .
A hotkey would work nicely for this. A hotkey setup menu like Maemo Mapper's is on the list for some point for the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
Thanks for such a useful and nice applet!

Italian translation file is attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt it.po.txt (1.9 KB, 96 views)

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
can anyone point me to the class one of linux to help me start , i have been searching but need some help thanks
It's a while since you posted this, and maybe you have found your way by now. However, I was struggling the same way until I took a look at http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html . For more detail, go to http://linux.die.net and http://webtools.live2support.com/linux/ .

The freeengineer link is about all you need to get the hang of what people are writing in these forums.

Good luck.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
After all the SSU upgrades I small brightness issue came up with advanced-backlight on my Diablo N810. Everything works UNTIL the screen gets turned off due to inactivity. When the N810 gets woken up, the screen brightness is that of the 'default', control panel one, not the one set in advanced backlight. If I click on it, the values shown are correct, but it takes a change (like +1 brightness) to get that level reapplied (until the next screen off). I have seen similar reports in this thread but no clear cut solution. Any ideas ? Advanced backlight is from extras, version 0.14-3, the OS is Diablo, 5.2008.43-7.

PS. I'm not sure if the trouble was the SSU itself, it's just that I noticed this issue a short while after applying it.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
It's reasonable to assume that they changed something with usability in mind and it's interfering with ABL... If that is the case, I'm not sure what exactly we can do, other than, for instance, forcably maintaining the brightness level using a timer... That isn't a good option though, because that'll keep the tablet from sleeping properly and would waste battery. I really wish there were brightness change events we could watch for or something, but the current interface to those settings is abysmal. All this should change with Fremantle and the new hardware management stuff they're doing, but that doesn't help us now (or with devices that aren't going to see an official, or even unofficial, backport).

That said, I should note that I am unable to reproduce this with my N800. Have you disabled your N810's light-meter? That could theoretically be causing it.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
After all the SSU upgrades I small brightness issue came up with advanced-backlight on my Diablo N810. Everything works UNTIL the screen gets turned off due to inactivity. When the N810 gets woken up, the screen brightness is that of the 'default', control panel one, not the one set in advanced backlight. If I click on it, the values shown are correct, but it takes a change (like +1 brightness) to get that level reapplied (until the next screen off). I have seen similar reports in this thread but no clear cut solution. Any ideas ? Advanced backlight is from extras, version 0.14-3, the OS is Diablo, 5.2008.43-7.

PS. I'm not sure if the trouble was the SSU itself, it's just that I noticed this issue a short while after applying it.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
ABL... If that is the case, I'm not sure what exactly we can do, other than, for instance, forcably maintaining the brightness level using a timer... That isn't a good option though, because that'll keep the tablet from sleeping properly
and would waste battery. I really wish there were brightness change events we could watch for or something, but the current interface to those settings is abysmal.
In this case, all we need to watch is if the screen is turned on because of activity (=exits standby mode), which should be detectable without timers/polling, right ?

That said, I should note that I am unable to reproduce this with my N800. Have you disabled your N810's light-meter? That could theoretically be causing it.
No, lightmeter is on and functional. I tried disabling/enabling and removing(purging)/installing advanced-backlight in the hope that maybe something just got overwritten, but nothing changed

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No, lightmeter is on and functional.
Ah, my wording was very unclear before, but what I meant was: if you have NOT disabled your light meter, that could be causing the problem. Try disabling it and see if the problem still exists. We've been having similar problems due to the light-meter taking over, and that is a known issue.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Open Control panel, double tap Panels, tap the Status bar tab, uncheck the Nokia applets.

It's been explained in the thread a couple times.
How about that! Search really does work in this forum...