Notices

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Question for the Guys at INDT - My 2 videocast feeds from my Mythtv box do not seem to work correctly in either the podcast, or the videocast parts of Canola. I can enter the feeds, and the name is verified etc. If I refresh the feeds, they just come back as empty though. An example is here

Other feeds work great though.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
I already use the ubuntu x86 version. I was hoping it could be made beta 11.

thaibill
Ah, don't worry then it's just because we are testing it when we upload to the extras, we will upload the new version as well.

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Some good and bad things I have noticed with beta 11:

Updating from beta 9 went without problems according to the AppManager. However, when Canola started, it told me to wipe it away completely using canola-cleanup. Did so, and downloaded and installed it all over again. Now it works.
Hello dude, thanks for the huge feedback, this is really helpful and for sure there's a couple of things here we should look asap. The reason about atabake was to make it faster to re-start canola, it kills itself after a couple of minutes, but anyhow we will look into that.

The 18mp is somthing funny: I have been asking this for the devs since beta1 : "hey guys, if it's too big, just don't load it, but don't crach it" but of course I know that I also demand a lot of other stuff with higher priority. Anyhow I also wish we could fix this for now, and with the layout being square for the next version I think we could close the pictures feature (as "final").

For the tree UI there's only one level that I have been wanting to kill but it's lower priority when compared to the scanner, thumbnailer and improving the overall speed and stability :
The menu and submenu. (We have actually the videos) where everything is on the first screen, and you don't have 2 levels, only menu then app. While still not jumping from a feature to other on everyscreen (like mediabox) We knew what we wanted to achieve, and we needed that space that would be dedicated to that.

Anyhow, I think once we place it opensource, I can release some of the design ideas including the one which adds a "jump" to anywhere with one touch. I just didn't think it was consistent enough to be added.

Speaking only about UI designing, and not the development itself, theres no way of not reaching points where you do get things a little worse than it should, but if you go the other way you will indeed fall in the mistake of consistency. I prefer to make it a little bit more boring but consistent than trying to solve some problems that affect the whole in a way that is much more uncontrollable.

I wish I could use the home button on the device, and the it was still 3 buttons like the n800 I would kill the bottom bar and add the navigation between apps like you suggested

Again : thanks, your feedback brings a lot of work to be done the time is short before the full open source release but I think we will for sure improve some of those.

BR

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Recife, Brazil
Opening the image browser makes Canola crash frequently. I have a test image in there with 18 megapixels resolution. Canola should refuse to load/thumbnail such a thing instead of crashing.
Yeah, this is something hard. We try to use some tricks, like opening images at 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 if they are JPEG, since this is possible and should not take much memory, but 18mpx is quite a lot, even in that case.

When quitting Canola, atabake remains in memory, eating away several MB of RAM. I have to kill it manually (this was the same with beta 9).

When Canola crashes, atabake and canolad remain in memory and have to be killed manually (this was the same with beta 9).
How long did you wait? They have a timeout of 30 seconds (maybe more, I didn't write this and last time I checked was long ago). They listen for DBus's NameOwnerChanged and when last user disconnect they'll wait that amount before shutting down. This is in the case user wants to quit Canola for some reason and quickly restart it, you'd not have to wait these daemons to load.

The Happy Tree Friends videocast contains hires m4v Videos (e.g. HTF_Kringles_Reindeer_iPhone.m4v) which are not playable on the device. OSSO media player refuses to play, and mplayer plays them totally jerky, dropping about every single frame.
And what kind of solution do you propose? Not clear to me.

Ogg-out-of-the-box still remains a dream. I don't like to use apt-get or search for a package that seems totally unrelated to Canola (lightmedia-scanner-ogg) for getting Ogg support. It should work out of the box. A media player that does not play Ogg or FLAC is near to useless to me, since most of my audio files are in these formats.
(I got Ogg working now, because I knew about the lightmedia-scanner-Canola relation, but many users may not).
Yes, our bad. We forgot to upload 2 packages: applet and ogg. With them it would make more sense :-)

If you have a reasonably high number of video files on your device (>150 in my case), you can go make a coffee while Canola-Tuning creates the thumbnails. I think the thumbnails should be created on-demand, not all at once.

Whenever I add new videos and want to have thumbnails created for those as well, I need to go through the whole process of creating >150 thumbnails again. Time for another cup of coffee... :/
Video thumbnail is also tricky... it's hard to figure out correct frames and all. And this is done by Canola-Tuning, since it uses MPlayer, we cannot force Canola to depend on it and thus we cannot request on demand, as we do with picture thumbnails.

Sometimes mplayer is really jerky when playing FLV embedded in Canola or MediaBox. This is especially true when you have run liqbase before and didn't reboot your device since then. liqbase seems to manipulate the CPU scaling governor permanently. I'm still investigating this problem.
Unfortunate situation :-/ But good to know nonetheless.

Most of my cover art is located in the folder of the songs as PNG or JPEG (e.g. cover.jpg). Canola-Tuning doesn't find any of these. Nor does it find any coverart embedded in ID3 tags. I think earlier versions of Canola-Tuning where better at finding my cover art.
Weird, this should work. Anyway, that code is open and you can freely check what's up with it. Patches are welcome ;-)

Hardware buttons don't work for zooming images.

Image panning in the image viewer is not kinetic, so doesn't really fit the rest of the user interface...
This is on the roadmap for next release. We have few things to do, possibly you will like it.

I think the transition effects in the UI where smoother (more FPS) in earlier versions.
No, it's actually a bit faster and you can even see some animations you could just see on desktop before. But that changed the flickering/tearing effect and in some screens they're even more noticeable. This is specially true for photo-walls, now we use asynchronous image loading, so we block much less and we load much more images than before, animation is bit faster and these together give the impression it's jerky, weird, we know... trying to solve by changing some constants to match these problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to barbieri For This Useful Post:
Just installed the youtube plugin and it performs much better than mytube. Comments wouldn't hurt like someone said earlier.

As far as last.fm plugin the play now fuction is the library. I actually just installed the beta last night because of my inexperience with using the extra-devel library.

Anyway the only thing missing is the playlist fuction from last.fm, otherwise its perfect.

Ah one more thing is ther no way to minimise the app withought the app switch button on the front of n810?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by barbieri View Post
Yeah, this is something hard. We try to use some tricks, like opening images at 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 if they are JPEG, since this is possible and should not take much memory, but 18mpx is quite a lot, even in that case.
This bad bad image is attached to this bug report:
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...=355&atid=1372
It's the London_bike_park.jpg attachment.

How long did you wait? They have a timeout of 30 seconds (maybe more, I didn't write this and last time I checked was long ago). They listen for DBus's NameOwnerChanged and when last user disconnect they'll wait that amount before shutting down. This is in the case user wants to quit Canola for some reason and quickly restart it, you'd not have to wait these daemons to load.
OK, this makes sense. I'll wait a couple of minutes and check again.

And what kind of solution do you propose? Not clear to me.
I'd suggest to only include videocasts that play well with Canola.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
No answer on the videocast icon?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ São Paulo
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
No answer on the videocast icon?
Which theme are you using ?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ São Paulo
Guys, just so we can properly follow-up on everything that is being reported here, if there is anything that you guys believe is a bug, could you please report it at Maemo's bugzilla ?

That way, we can make sure that we can track everything that still needs to be done, and we don't lose anything. Tomorrow I'm going to go through this post and answer things that have still gone unanswered.

Thanks alot for your feedback. Cheers

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im using the flat black theme.