Poll: N800 Camera problems
Poll Options
N800 Camera problems

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I used video chat at 15:30 and the image didn't flip. Switched off the device and made another video call later that day at 16:30 and the image flipped.

Just for the record, I had no such issues prior to Diablo so I am sorry that I can't help anyone.

Re the removing and replacing battery fix, I do that every day (my batteries are charged externally) so that had no effect on my experience.

The prodlem of the rotating camera not flipping and the Internet Call App not launching is sporatic on my N800 with Diablo.

Not the best camera anyway. But it's still a great little device!

Has anyone figured out a fix for the camer image flip problem?

For all those who have this annoying camera bug

1. Shutdown N800 with camera pushed in

2. Take out battery for 10 mins (some report less time is ok)

3. ****Pull out the Camera**** while unit is off and battery is out

4. Replace battery (make sure camera still out)

5. Start N800

6. Start New Internet Call application while camera still out
(it should work) then close app and push camera in.

7. Now pull camera out should autolaunch internet call app and autoflip

This process was the only thing that worked for me and I had tried everything else.

Last edited by migs; 2008-12-19 at 17:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to migs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Herndon, VA, USA
Thanks migs, that worked for me, although I only took the battery out for about 20 seconds.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by migs View Post
For all those who have this annoying camera bug

1. Shutdown N800 with camera pushed in

2. Take out battery for 10 mins (some report less time is ok)

3. ****Pull out the Camera**** while unit is off and battery is out

4. Replace battery (make sure camera still out)

5. Start N800

6. Start New Internet Call application while camera still out
(it should work) then close app and push camera in.

7. Now pull camera out should autolaunch internet call app and autoflip

This process was the only thing that worked for me and I had tried everything else.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it didn't work for me. This is a new N800 (warranty replacement by Nokia), flashed to the latest firmware and the camera won't rotate. I know it's not hardware, because Knips rotates fine (Knips doesn't work well otherwise though).

I tried the procedure above and the only thing that happened was that on reboot the splashscreen "stuck" until I tapped the screen.

Don't really think Nokia cares about this problem....

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by microfab View Post
Don't really think Nokia cares about this problem....
I sincerely believe Nokia doesn't care about any f**king problem its users might have. Once they've sold you a freakin' tablet, you're off their radar AFATAC.

I'm just glad the EU installed a mandatory 2 year warranty period, or I would have been SOL-ed on my broken tablet. Nokia just does not seem to be a nice company. At all. (see the snooping law they managed to bully through the Finnish parliament)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
All Nokia Politics aside, in my experience with the N800 camera issue I've found that it seems to be related in powering up the device from the "charging" state. If you have the tablet connected to the charger but "turned off" and you turn the tablet on, the camera doesn't work properly; if you disconnect the charger and make sure the tablet is completely "off off", then turn it on from there it seems to work just fine everytime... in my experience at least. Can anyone else verify that behaviour? If so my bet would be that there's something in the Diablo low-power initfs that's causing the issue... I mean, no closer to a permanent resolution, but at least if we can narrow down the problem to what exactly in software is actually causing the problem it'd be a start...

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
All Nokia Politics aside, in my experience with the N800 camera issue I've found that it seems to be related in powering up the device from the "charging" state. If you have the tablet connected to the charger but "turned off" and you turn the tablet on, the camera doesn't work properly; if you disconnect the charger and make sure the tablet is completely "off off", then turn it on from there it seems to work just fine everytime... in my experience at least. Can anyone else verify that behaviour? If so my bet would be that there's something in the Diablo low-power initfs that's causing the issue... I mean, no closer to a permanent resolution, but at least if we can narrow down the problem to what exactly in software is actually causing the problem it'd be a start...
Doesn't work here.

(the camera hardware is fine; using Knips, the camera image flips as it should)