Active Topics

More gadgets are starting to have wifi, like the Archos player. The Mylo has come out too. But still, no one comes even close to the screen resolution of the 770, which is a key aspect of it's usability for web browsing. I wonder if the screen of this resolution is just too expensive or requires too much battery life?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
i'm guessing they don't think there's a large market for mobile web browsing. The corporate suits think that IM-ing, mp3 capabilities, and video have an established mass appeal, so they're going where the money is instead of innovating.

I think the screen of the 770 is very expensive compared to a lower resolution one. Then there is the certain uncertainty surrounding devices like the 770, which IMO was launched by Nokia to test the waters regarding hardware and software (can I say that in english?). From above UMPCs and tablets are exerting pressure, they are still way too expensive for most peoples' needs and uses, but have a complete desktop environment with complete applications already known to most users to offer in exchange. Then there are a lot sophisticated phones/Pocket PCs with phone capability around, and nothing hinders their manufactures to increase the resolution a little to that of the 770 (of course they are also more expensive), and the connection to desktop apps is also better. Success is defined on a narrow line for these kind of devices. I myself would like to see the 770 getting cheaper and with improved X-forwarding capabilities (fullscreen) or even an NX client for it, and a better speaker, battery and audio and usb interfaces, as in my opinion it then would give a real good general purpose machine possible to adapt to many tasks that may arise.

Ah, and I already like it as it is now, since it does well what it is sold for, to act as an internet tablet with little weight and good autonomy. I would have liked if it was better suited for ebook reading in pdf format physical screen size is too small for it), but soon relatively cheap ebook readers from China based on e-ink screens will hit the market, at least I hope that they are cheap enough for me.

Bye, tira.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I don't think high-resolution screen are that expensive. You can get DVD players with a LCD screen having a resolution close to the one of the 770 for relatively little money nowadays...

Why *should* there be a competitor? It's not like the 770 has had the blockbuster sales the initial (Palm) Pilot had.

Although UMPCs offer more, I've become very spoiled by PDAs and now the 770. I've fondled the Samsung Qs several times but compared to the 770, I find it too big and heavy.

To me, the closest competitor is the VEGA microPC followed by the massively-expensive Sony UX 1/280.

OS 2006 has made a big change in my attitude towards the 770.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rochester, NY
Depends on the definition of "true competitor" -

For me, price wise, something under US$700, that is WiFi capable, with maybe a touch screen or decent keypad and "mouse" substitute. I am not going to get wrapped up in the resolution, though, since that is a key reason a lot of people go for the Nokia, it isn't probably as critical for every Internet Tablet user.

The main competitors for this are:
1. Sony Mylo - Lockware, but probably really stable, screen worse, Skype is a plus
2. Archos 604 Wifi - Lockware, but has great Movie and Music Capability, Screen is worse, but Wifi and Opera Browser, some IM and such.
3. Pepper Pad 3 - Larger Screen, more expensive, HDD, Wifi and Open Source
4. Palm LifeDrive - more business oriented, but similar in spec to Nokia, screen worse, Lockware, too.
5.Others ... ?

Competitors but not direct (they are really specialized):
1. Sidekick 3 - more of a terminal and cell phone
2. iRex iLiad - Spinoff of Philips, eBook with screen using eInk (16 greay levels, but great contrast, low battery useage), rumor has it is touch screen and one can write on it wit stylus with good character recognition - purportedly also has WiFi and is open source or less locked down that other offerings.
3. Sony Reader - eBook, primitive, as locked as locked gets - typical Sony - but for the eBook set only. Won't do anything else, I don't think.
4. Any number of Smart Phones - allow surfing, some with WiFi, mostly lockware and limited by screen size and inputs. Someone could convince themselves this is "good enough" - especially the Blackberry set.
5. UMPC's - tend to be above $1k and more of a full fledged computer, so I am discounting them somewhat.
Te de aliis, quam alios de te suaviust fieri doctos

Last edited by Bromo33333; 2006-12-07 at 14:09.

The Kojinsha minilaptop would fit your definition of a competitor, although I think of it more as a complement to the 770.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by fpp
The Kojinsha minilaptop would fit your definition of a competitor, although I think of it more as a complement to the 770.
I just looked it up - I think so.
Te de aliis, quam alios de te suaviust fieri doctos

Originally Posted by phi
i'm guessing they don't think there's a large market for mobile web browsing. The corporate suits think that IM-ing, mp3 capabilities, and video have an established mass appeal, so they're going where the money is instead of innovating.
Still true...the way the wind is blowing commercially, even your toaster oven will soon be able to play mp3s, display video and let you message your mom while you're waiting for that pizza pie.

But not a single truly mobile device that lets you surf the web with a decent screen....god, I hate the corporate marketing guys. I hate them so much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drewvt For This Useful Post:
The OLPC - and Nokia is even supporting them:
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/...ps.html?page=4

OLPC is getting indirect benefits from Nokia's 770 Internet Tablet, including the long-awaited ability to add input devices without restarting the GUI subsystem, which Nokia developer Daniel Stone added for the 770. "The input stuff on x has needed an overhaul for a decade and Daniel is finally doing that," Gettys says.

Nokia is also funding X Window System developer Matthew Allum to work on a display simulator, Xephyr. Xephyr is the basis for a Manu Cornet's Google Summer of Code work on simulating the CM1 display on a conventional monitor.

Blizzard anticipates that developer interest will grow even more with the next round of prototype machines, which will be complete laptops instead of just bare circuit boards. "There are really great spinoffs. We're going to build a lot of laptops and put them in the hands of a lot of people, " he says.

Last edited by christianhauck; 2006-12-08 at 16:55. Reason: typo