I have also had swap problems with pbeasy and swap files. I cloned to my n810's internal card and put a swap file on the same card. I can enable swap with swapon /dev/mmcblk0p3. On running the Swap function in pb this partition doesn't even come up.
Can I just add the swapon to some init script or is it more complicated than that?

I just used the tools on my N800 to partition the internal MMC. That worked ok. Then i used clone from pbeasy to make a clone to the MMC.
It formatted the partitions fine and then copied the system. Then it installed the bootmenu and rebooted.
Since then it doesn't boot anymore. The Nokia text comes up but the blue bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't show up. After a while it shut off.
It looks like something with flashing went wrong?

Is my N800 bricked now or will flashing using the Windows tool still work (haven't tried yet)?

I used this excellent tool to do a full backup of my system before I reflashed my console to the latest version of the OS. I have re-installed console tools and bootmenu but I have been unable to "Restore". When I try I can select the volume that the backup is on (the external 2 gig card) but it only gives me the option to restore it to the internal 2 gig card rather than the flash.

Any ideas?

Because you can't restore to the volume you have booted from!

Sorry to waste your time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rassilon7 For This Useful Post:
May I just say once more that I love this program, I have just managed to reflash, update my OS, and return to normal operation in the space of 1 hour. Thank you so much!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rassilon7 For This Useful Post:
After running cloned system from internal SD for some time I decided to retry the process and see if I could get swap to work automatically with the latest (?) version. (Is there a reason why console-tools still isn't available directly from penguinbait.com?)

First I went to "pbeasy" and ran "partition", getting the "Type in the size in MB for the FAT partition: This is the amount of Disk to be assigned to the windows filesystem on the tablet." message twice. I gave it first 128 (what is this for and how much is really needed for this "windows" FAT partition?) and second time 256 (supposedly for swap). This process only lasted only maybe 10 seconds!

After reboot I re-ran "pbeasy" and ran "cloning" and was only asked about the bootmenu timeout (6 secs). As earlier at this stage the process churned a couple of minutes, mostly at 99%, before again finishing with "can't open /rval/tmp" error.

Upon second reboot I selected the internal SD from bootmenu and system booted a bit quicker than from built-in flash... but I still got senor Torvalds' vocalizing.

So I'm back to where I started from...

Excitedly I try "free" but it still gives blank for swap...

cat /proc/partitions shows that at least the partition is there:

1997312 mmcblk0
131071 mmcblk0p1
1603584 mmcblk0p2
262144 mmcblk0p3 <-----

Running "swapon /dev/mmcblk0p3" as root does enable it, until next shutdown/reboot I suppose.

Heya when trying to enable my swap partition I get this error.

rootfs / rootfs default,errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc1 vfat rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p3 none swap sw 0 0

I am very new to linux and do not know what this means.

After I get this message it says swap successful. When booting from the original image on my internal flash(256mb) the swap is actually successful. I run free and some of the memory is assigned. When I boot from my cloned image on my internal flash (1.5gb) and do the same thing I get the same error but when I check if swap is assigned with free total, used, and free are all 0.

Thanks for any help you can provide

I just got N810 after 2 years of using N770 and couldn't be happier. Yesterday got 8GB SD card and decided to set up dual boot using 2GB internal SD as a second bootable partition. I used instructions in the KDE thread but did a slight variation of these as I did not want to partition internal SD and instead made it one ext2 partition. I had to make a slight change in bootmenu.sh so it is loading from the right partition, and it now boots from 2Gb SD, but my 8GB external card is not mounted at all.
When I boot from flash I get:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type ext2
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type vfat
When I boot from SD I get:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type ext2
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on / type ext2
All attempts to mount external SD manually were unsuccessful. I realize that most likely I need to make some changes in bootmenu.sh and re-flash, but for the life of me cannot figure out what - shell scripting is not my forte...

Please help!

TIA

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
I have just used this wonderful tool to boot from mmc1 (external). I have formatted it and divided up my space to my liking. I am cautious about 1 BIG thing. Enabling the swap file. When I enabled it on my first go around I had to reflash and start over. I had the same problem of getting to the boot menu and then choosing my mmcblk1p2 and then it just froze. I had to take the battery out, there was no other way. Is there a problem with where or how I am doing my swap file? I don't want to risk another pseudo 'bricking' and starting from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by RavMan View Post
I have just used this wonderful tool to boot from mmc1 (external). I have formatted it and divided up my space to my liking. I am cautious about 1 BIG thing. Enabling the swap file. When I enabled it on my first go around I had to reflash and start over. I had the same problem of getting to the boot menu and then choosing my mmcblk1p2 and then it just froze. I had to take the battery out, there was no other way. Is there a problem with where or how I am doing my swap file? I don't want to risk another pseudo 'bricking' and starting from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated!
Several people have reported problems with swap routines. I have just not had time to really look into it. I suggest using the Virtual Memory in the Control Panel if you are experiencing these issues. I also recommend putting the virtual memory on another card, one your not booting from if possible.

I have just been really busy. I work at EMC/IBM Reseller as a systems engineer. I do however get paid somewhat on what is sold. It appears at the moment we need to work twice as hard to make half as much. Much of my time lately, is being spent doing actual work so I can eat and feed the kids

I had my crawlspace flood, and that's where my furnace is. I finally got it pumped out, 1000$ to the furnace guy and I can finally turn off the oven.

So real life in general has been keeping me busy. I will try to get an update out at some point. Use virtual memory for now.

Anyone looking to purchase any EMC or IBM SAN/UNIX/INTEL let me know

Or if your looking for a remote unix admin, or have a position in a warm climate.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-02-15 at 15:48.

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools