Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Catalonia
I did expected Nokia to annunce the next tablet today. I was pretty sure about it. In fact, if they are serious about Maemo, I think they might have anounced a maemo phone named Communicator and oriented directly to the enterprise. What is the niche of Maemo Tablets? I think maemo tablets are the best platform now to develop powerfull apps for integrated companies. You need it to be a phone so you make sure 100% of time it is alive. And then you have a platform that can read webpages but at the same time can act as a web server or whatever you need in your linux based program.

Then, if tablet's 4th generation is still not something to show off, I don't know if it will ever be or Simbian will become good enough for Nokia to push it further.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
No matter how interesting the software is - it's not sexy.
Well, it's our job to convince you of the opposite.

On the HW-side of things, we have pretty much said already what we've got: HSPA data, OMAP3 processor, 3D HW-graphics acceleration, and high-definition camera. Whether that is delivered to you in a 150g, 300g, or 600g package in 12mm, 15mm, or 18mm, with or without qwerty, in black, red, silver or red is certainly relevant, but not crucial until you can actually buy the lead device.

What remains the same is our mission for Maemo: high-end Nseries devices with large touch screen that you can put into your pocket (by the way 600g does not fit that category).

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
I don't understand why so many people think that Nokia has a bad marketing strategy just because they don't announce a product well in advance before the actual prodcut launch.

Other companies take the same approach and seem to be quite successfull with it. Just have a look Apple and their zero-information-policy. I guess that must be the reason why nobody wants to buy Apple products. ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
i would seriously worry if they did or do announce a new tablet, they just killed the wimax edition and meaning a tablet with a beta software inside because sdk alpha for maemo5 just came out that would be probably a sign of danger to the maemo platform.

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-02-16 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Un27Pee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I would prefer to have an announcement on 'Day X', and then have the product in my hands on 'Day X+1'. The N800 was announced/available in a similar fashion, and probably was a stunning commercial success for Nokia/Maemo.

There is enough information out there to know generally what the hardware is going to have in it. In fact, we have known since the Maemo Summit in the Fall of 2008 the general hardware advances that were to be made in the Maemo 5 lead device. What is not known at all is anything on the UI side of the house... hopefully the next SDK release is imminent since that is to contain the Maemo 5 UI - I'm sure everyone will be extrememly excited to see what the software will allow you to do on the next device.

We've seen the 770, N800, N810, and N810WE so far. I think I can imagine what one would look like with a Hi-Def camera and HSPA connectivity.

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-02-16 at 12:00. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Well, it's our job to convince you of the opposite.
When?
There has been no (AFAIK) intro of the software to general users. Is this going to change with the next SDK (just the name makes me think NO).
I'm not saying that software isn't sexy - because software + highres. screen is what keeps me tied to maemo - it's just difficult to make the software sexy when nothing is shown.

If this is about to change - I'm happy - and going to be surprised if Nokia is able to build steam in the segment without having an actual device to show.

-and by the way, a third reason to stick to Maemo is "this right here" - open discussions from both sides of the fence

Pandora made me waiting-proof, so I'm happy and very much like the sound of "announce on Day X and ship on Day X+1"

The Following User Says Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Is there another thread established discussing the hardware for the upcoming device? I've read the other ones I've found and this the first time I am seeing mention of a hi-def camera on the next device.

This is a feature I think (could be wrong) some members were actually against.

Will the device have a low res camera as well for video calls?

Last edited by dbec10; 2009-02-16 at 12:12.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Is there another thread established discussing the hardware for the upcoming device? I've read the other ones I've found and this the first time I am seeing mention of a hi-def camera on the next device.
http://maemo.org/community/council/c..._2009-part_ii/

Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Will the device have a low res camera as well for video calls?
Apparently.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-02-16 at 12:12. Reason: Whitespace

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Software can be sexy to the person who has seen it. All others will have to wait until they have seen it. Some can also believe based on what the person who saw it has said.

No different from being told of a sexy girl.

Of course the more detail provided about the girl will increase the desire by others to see her.