Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
@attila77
This could be the fact for this f***ing mouse button, but what about the keyboard support? They even sell bt keyboards (I have one and I like it)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
@attila77
This could be the fact for this f***ing mouse button, but what about the keyboard support? They even sell bt keyboards (I have one and I like it)
I have one (of the thin small alimuminum type), too, I use it regularly with my NIT. My guess (good as any) is, as was already pointed out, that the whole touch/finger thing has been hyped so much that adding a keyboard, even external would be nothing short of admitting that omitting a keyboard was a design choice, and not a 'revolution'. Also, the vast majority of iPhone users really doesn't need it, and it would mean yet another thing than can break the 'just works' mantra.

A third option, not sure how big of a factor that is, is that Mac production (hence keyboards) is completely separate from iPhones in every way - production, development, distribution, support. So, supporting it would be a complication, only a small number of users would benefit and wouldn't be in line with Apple philosphy. In Apple terms, a feature.

But it seems to be a big thing for the IPhone community. As tso pointed out there are several blogs reporting about this improvement.

I think Apple just made a mistake.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Oh my fricking god! BT keyboard paired with a phone! Never seen this thing before, it's pure revolution!
/sarcasm off

The truth is, Apple doesn't actually have ridiculously brilliant (eg: best in industry) UI designers. They are good, and they know how to make things pretty, but the only way they can come up with to make things streamined is to render them borderline useless and then offer a completely different software package for people who want any kind of functionality. (See iMovie 6 vs. iMovie `08 fiasco).

My favourite example is the dock, which has a severe limitation in its design: There is no organization. It's a flat line of icons and we just have to hope everything fits on there because the alternative is Searching (don't worry, I wouldn't subject anyone to that) or digging through the completely enormous Applications folder. Curiously, they don't do very well indicating that the dock is simply a panel with user-specified shortcuts and many users are entirely unaware of the Applications folder, largely because it is completely nonsensical to have them organized through the same interface as documents.

Then they come up with buttonless mice and trackpads which, frankly, have confused the daylights out of every person I have introduced to them. (As has the matter of rescuing music from the evil clutches of iTunes, which pops up every now and then).

So, err, I'm not too surprised that they would disappear bluetooth keyboards, prompting homebrewers to do it for them.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-02-24 at 15:45.

But it seems to be a big thing for the IPhone community. As tso pointed out there are several blogs reporting about this improvement.
It is certainly of interest to the more tech savvy (and geeky) end of the iPhone user spectrum - and these are exactly the people who blog around are more active in on-line communities. On the other hard, considering the number of iPhones in circulation, their number is very small.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It is certainly of interest to the more tech savvy (and geeky) end of the iPhone user spectrum - and these are exactly the people who blog around are more active in on-line communities. On the other hard, considering the number of iPhones in circulation, their number is very small.
But they buy bt keyboards from apple. I still see no reason for not offering bt kb support. Each way, with this support, they maybe sell more hardware and have a more powerful device. Apple strategy for the IPhone includes being atractive for business people who I think will use an external keyboard.

But they buy bt keyboards from apple.
Apple is not as monolithic as it may seem, it's just a common brand/moniker (not unlike IBM in this respect).

Apple strategy for the IPhone includes being atractive for business people who I think will use an external keyboard.
That's blackberry/palm land. The iPhone is far more about showing off and style than about (non-voice) work (no offense intended for any hard working iPhone owners present ). Hence that's not really iPhone audience.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
That's blackberry/palm land. The iPhone is far more about showing off and style than about (non-voice) work (no offense intended for any hard working iPhone owners present ). Hence that's not really iPhone audience.
But apple is trying to make it a business phone
see:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I use my n810 keyboard to type messages on my iphone through VNC. Though I still cant wait for a small dedicated keypad for the iphone.