Active Topics

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
That was an interesting statement.

A brief glimpse into what might have been...
Because of this feature I preferred a prototype with only 4GB instead of the special 8GB final version we were given to celebrate the launch.

The Following User Says Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Well, you first said that the battery drain is the most annoying part of the tablets, now that it is messed up for the problem happening with just 6 libs, or without those and only one other package installed.

Maybe it's like GA said and your AP has broken power saving. Or maybe you are installing broken sw. What's your point?
Well I wasn't suggesting that the battery drain problem was a hardware issue. It is obviously bad software. I doubt it is just my router because tons of other people have the same problem.

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Well I wasn't suggesting that the battery drain problem was a hardware issue. It is obviously bad software. I doubt it is just my router because tons of other people have the same problem.
Well, tons of people have routers that cause problems, so what's that got to do with it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Well I wasn't suggesting that the battery drain problem was a hardware issue. It is obviously bad software.
What is not obvious is who is shipping the bad piece of software.

I doubt it is just my router
Isn't this easy to try? Before going to sleep turn off your router (and/or put your device in offline mode) and see what happens in the morning.

If you device still has a battery drained in the morning, then reflash, don't install anything and repeat the test.

because tons of other people have the same problem.
Because tons of other people have routers with defective software and install third party software that, no matter how cool, haven't gone through a solid performance and quality criteria. And I'm not pointing specifically Tear or any project mentioned here.

But I really doubt a fresh and stock Maemo 4.1 will drain your battery without interacting with a defective router.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
But I really doubt a fresh and stock Maemo 4.1 will drain your battery without interacting with a defective router.
At least when left alone in idle.
I don't want to point fingers either, but if there is a piece of sw we ship that I wouldn't trust to let running all the time, it is the built in email client.

We do only this much of testing and in the wild there can be some funky setup which will trigger execution paths we never dreamt of.

I would have rather preferred a setup where we would have been using a local MTA like postfix and a web based MUA like sqirrelmail.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
… also, many of these battery drain issues probably could be solved with a new battery. I myself was furious about the bad power management: 12-24 hours maximum in offline mode was just disappointing. Got a new battery, now everything's perfect.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by igor View Post
I would have rather preferred a setup where we would have been using a local MTA like postfix and a web based MUA like sqirrelmail.
I doubt it would be a good solution (though I'm running an imap server on a linkstation pro, that's an arm less powerful than the one on the tablet).
Claws works fine on the tablet.

If the tablets just had a standby mode like Palm/WinMo devices then none of this would even be an issue. There is no reason to keep the devices running 24/7 since they don't receive phone calls, and turning it off and on again just takes too long.

I will be testing it out though, seeing if there is any drain in offline mode. It might also just be that hte battery was damaged since I often charge it from USB.

The Following User Says Thank You to drizek For This Useful Post:
If the tablets just had a standby mode like Palm/WinMo devices then none of this would even be an issue. There is no reason to keep the devices running 24/7 since they don't receive phone calls, and turning it off and on again just takes too long.
Unless you use VoIP, IM, and/or want email notifications. Not receiving calls through a cellular network is not the same thing as not having communications channels that should be kept up. And while such a standby mode (or softpoweroff...) might band-aid the problem for some users, the real issue is with the routers, and it'll continue to plague people who do want their device always live.

For those who can afford a data SIM, the solution is coming in the RX-51 -- ditch the router, and just use HSPA. (What that does to idle-but-connected battery life remains to be seen, of course...) I'm already doing this with my N810 -- I leave it tethered to my phone instead of hopping on the WiFi at home (even though my router's fine), but I charge my phone (and tablets) every night.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)

I will be testing it out though, seeing if there is any drain in offline mode. It might also just be that hte battery was damaged since I often charge it from USB.
They have a standby mode, but Nokia has botched softpoweroff since before the Diablo release, and fixes will be "fixed in Fremantle", i.e.: "never for you".

Also, the ARM processor in the tablets is quite capable of scaling back power consumption automagically.

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?