Active Topics

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
sigh - I would love an N810, but 200 € is not something offered here in DK - still 350 €.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
The price drop here was just recently. Maybe it will reach Denmark soon
http://www2.computeruniverse.net/pri...=popup&deutsch

i have a n810 and just recently bought a n800-the n800 is hands down thw better model for me and will be selling my n810 with 2 years subscription still to go on wayfinder australia map

Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
Was I crazy to finally adopt the N810 THIS late in the game?
Perhaps, but so am I.

I had an N800, and finally grabbed an N810 when they were $219 shipped from buy.com; I'm not sure that was smart at all, but I did it. The dpad and menu key being on the slider is more annoying than I expected...

I'd say it's definitely not crazy to go from the 770 to the N800 at this point; the N810's probably not either, if that's the device that makes you happier. Going from N800 to N810, and not even selling an N800 to make up the difference... well, that probably was crazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's what I wanted to hear... A long time N800 user, like myself, reporting back after purchasing the N810. I've been telling myself not to give in and buy a cheap N810, but I was wondering if it was just "sour grapes"; now I know that I'll wait for Mr. RX-51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
That's what I wanted to hear... A long time N800 user, like myself, reporting back after purchasing the N810. I've been telling myself not to give in and buy a cheap N810, but I was wondering if it was just "sour grapes"; now I know that I'll wait for Mr. RX-51.
I'll be posting an in-depth review from my perspective (in some appropriate thread) this weekend or so. Honestly, I think it might barely be worth the ~$70 to get an N810 and sell my N800, or to get an N810 instead of an N800 if I was just getting in. But $220 to add one was not quite worth it for me, and I'd have to be mighty pressed for cash to sell a working computer -- that's just wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, my philosophy is: if your computer has any resale value at all, you're selling it too early

Funny thing qole...

I bought an Amiga 4000 years ago for about $2000. I sold it 4 years later for over $4000. This was when the toaster was still being used professionally and when Commodore went away the value of the A4000 temporarily skyrocketed.

I appreciate all the opinions here. I guess am not too concerned that the N810 has reached its maturity OS wise. In fact I feel that it makes it an OK time to jump on. It is what it is, and I think I will like it as an extension to my 770 experience.

I am not sure, but I have a feeling that overall if the RX-51 ends up being more phone like, I might not be interested.

The 810 fixed every complaint I had about the 770. I spose I will just have to learn what things about it might leave me wanting. Who knows, maybe nothing really. FBReader, Browser, Email and Nethack with a keyboard and I am GOLDEN!

And frankly, I am not wiling to spend much more than $200 on a new handheld computer so the N810 is likely gonna thrill me!

At least I hope so.

Jumped into the water with a new n810 recently myself and I was initially having buyers remorse after seeing how badly everything worked out of the box (esp microb). But several tweaks later, it's smooth sailing as a web-browser with various microb tweaks (including CSS and webkit), and also as a very nice ebook reader (pdf/htmls). Well worth it to jump in if you don't have one (esp if you've got any excuse to use linux to begin with -- eg emacs, openvpn, etc).

-CM