Notices

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
lemmy,
it would be entirely possible to make a system do autoscrolling right now.
however it would drive you crazy because the screen suffers from horrendous tearing artifacts when using the normal x11 pathways. I started liqbase by using the "normal" methods of updating but was really unhappy with how it looked with text.

I get round it by a combination of crazy coding and the choice of display mode I use.

liqbase lives in the XV video mode using YUV colors, normally used by media players to render movie frames and not used by any GUI software.

I have built the software stack from the ground up to operate as efficiently as possible at the expense of compatability.
Its not childsplay to expect the entire stack to be converted from its native RGB mode to the YUV mode and carry on as if nothing happened and would suck even more cpu trying.
Its something I have had to come to terms with but am happy right now because it gives excellent performance, not just here but on other devices I try it on ( and for different reasons - on faster machines liqbase simply requires less cpu and hence does not drain the battery as quick )

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Thanks lcuk.

I won't say I thought it was something like that, cause I certainly wouldn't have guessed that, however, I did realize that you have done some amazing things to get liqbase to work the way it does.

So I guess the answer is possible but not practical on the n8x0's.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I honestly wouldn't ***** so much if the n810's zoom rocker wasn't so awkwardly placed.

PyBookReader does not have many features but at least it can auto-scroll. Maybe someone wants to create a .deb of it? (but nobody seemed interested in it in the last thread about auto-scrolling ...)

Maybe if I'm feeling lucky I'll try it out manually Nikem. But if it works well It might be nice if someone could port it over.

PyBookReader looks amazing. Display looks nice. It doesn't have all the features of FbReader but it has enough for me.

The scrolling works well. It does rip and tear at quick speeds. But for the speed that I need it to scroll while reading it seems to work fine with no problems.

Too bad it wont full screen. Is there a way to force it? If I could get that to work It'd be perfect.

Anyone interested in porting and optimizing PyBookReader for n810? I'll give you the 10 dollars instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by killdeer View Post
I honestly wouldn't ***** so much if the n810's zoom rocker wasn't so awkwardly placed.
? Maybe you're just not holding the N810 'right' Tablet in left hand, portrait mode, the zoom (=page flip) comes right under your index finger. If you're left handed or prefer holding it in your right hand, it comes right under your thumb. Landscape mode reading (ick!) is left hand only. Although a lot of the ergonomy might depend on actual metrics (=palm/finger length).

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Not only lack of auto scrolling but, for me, much more important is the lack of 'tap on a word to open the dictionary and display its meaning' facility.

This was a great feature in Tim Wentford's Opie Reader for the Zaurus http://www.timwentford.uklinux.net/

Put me down for a bounty for that feature too.

I used to use this app on my Zaurus as well. Since scrolling can't be incorporated into fbreader, is there any chance of porting Opie Reader into Maemo???

--vr

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
? Maybe you're just not holding the N810 'right' Tablet in left hand, portrait mode, the zoom (=page flip) comes right under your index finger. If you're left handed or prefer holding it in your right hand, it comes right under your thumb. Landscape mode reading (ick!) is left hand only. Although a lot of the ergonomy might depend on actual metrics (=palm/finger length).
Thats one of the things that annoys me about the pdf reader. I read exactly as you said, Atilla77...But none of the pdf readers I have found so far (the default maemo one and evince) even begin to think about working in portrait mode, so I am stuck reading in landscape...Which, as you say, is quite irritating.

--vr

I normally read for about an hour every night. I've never been able to work the n810 one handed for longer than 20 minutes or so. I always end up with a sore wrist. I'm a small framed bastard

Tags
auto-scroll, bounty, fbreader