Closed Thread
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Niterói - RJ - Brazil
AAAAAAAAA!!!

U talking the keys of zoom in and out

NOW i understand... i thinking in keys of keyboard

COOL

Hey, i get the easy debian for put more volume on my phones (they come on factory not too loud ) but then i like all things in easy debian ...

now i have one question:

When i plus the sound on the GNOME ALSA mixer ( DMA ) this is forever? Or when i reboot the n800 the DMA reset too and i need plus him again??

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
Does this work with os2008HE on nokia 770?

I tried and I get an error: "Unable to install. Application package is incompatible with current software."

Last edited by doppers; 2009-03-08 at 11:32. Reason: replaced n800HE with os2008HE

Hi, this is my first post. I love the easy debian and Open Office for my N800. I have 0.9.12 installed (easy debian). My question this. I hacked a USB cable and installed the controller app so I can read my USB drive. It gets mounted on media/usb/sda1. The problem is that when I start Open Office it can't see the usb drive. I can see the media/usb folder but it appears empty to Open office. Is there some trick to making it know that the drive is there? BTW I can't see it in the LXDE environment either. Thanks for your help. And thanks for the FAQ's you posted at the beginning of the thread - they were a BIG help!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Easy Debian doesn't do "Hotplug" very well...

The trick to making external storage visible to applications in Easy Debian is plugging them in before launching any Easy Debian apps.

If you've already run an Easy Debian app, you have to use the "Close Debian" icon to shut down Easy Debian completely, then start it up again. Your USB key should be visible now.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Easy Debian doesn't do "Hotplug" very well...

The trick to making external storage visible to applications in Easy Debian is plugging them in before launching any Easy Debian apps.

If you've already run an Easy Debian app, you have to use the "Close Debian" icon to shut down Easy Debian completely, then start it up again. Your USB key should be visible now.
Many Thanks! That did the trick. Is there any way to have a usb mouse work? That would be great for the LXDE environment. I have read about using usb keyboards too, do the easy debian apps recognize a usb keyboard w/o any problems if plugged in before starting them?

Thanks again for a very useful app! Now I can open and edit my .doc and .xls files!

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Thanks qole for this great stuff. I've currently installed it and I'm using it and its completely amazing. But as I'm new to linux, I have couple of questions:

1) The installed image occupied around 1GB and its on 8GB removable card. Now, where will the packages which I'll install later reside? Remaining space is 7GB, will this space be used for those packages? If not, is there any guide to make this whole be used as debian file system coz I read that running out of space is ugly in debian and if I could do so, I will be free from this prblm.

2) Also, I've been trying to download some media players and have tried numerous players by now but nothing went successfully, all the problems states 'some files couldn't be fetched'. If anyone can suggest me of any good media player I would be grateful.

3) Is there anyway to make the n810 keyboard useful while using easy debian coz when it comes to put numbers or some characters other than alphabet, it's completely useless. It would be great if there's any workaround for this coz virtual keyboard is a bit pain.

4) I tried to set date and time with the cmd:
'date --set 10:00:0'
'date --set 2009-03-14'
It did work, but again the time in maemo is changed and if you reset in maemo time in easy debian gets changed. So, how can I make easy debian to read the date and time of the main system.

Everything else until now, from 1 and 1/2 day of using, is perfect. Thank you.

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2009-03-14 at 11:56.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
jaeezzy:
1) You can only use the 1.1GB image size for Debian apps. There are many posts in this thread and others discussing ways to increase the size of the Debian image (up to 2GB) or move the whole file system to a dedicated partition. This is fairly advanced stuff, however.

2) It sounds like you have outdated package lists. In Synaptic: Edit menu, Reload Package Information

3) If your keyboard is not working in LXDE, then there's something wrong with your install. If it isn't working when you run Debian apps in Maemo, then you might need to add the following item to your Personal Menu
Code:
debbie xmodmap /home/user/.Xmodmap-keymap-n810
If you have a non-English keyboard, you might need to visit fatalsaint's xmodmap thread and find debernardis' post about tweaking the map for an Italian keyboard.

4) To synchronise the date-time of Maemo and Debian:

From a Maemo terminal, issue the following two commands:
Code:
sudo closechroot
touch ~/.synchroot
The next time you start a Debian app, the time should be correct.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chicago
Hi Qole,

This is amazing - reading all the posts and realizing that one day I too might be able to do some of this work.

That said, I'm very new to the Nokia N810 tablet. I did download the easy debian from the maemo site (before I found you here) and have all of the apps listed on my Nokia, either in Utilities, or extras.

But, I never saw any Congratulations or extraction happen. And when I try to open any of the apps (I am most interested in Open Office) it doesn't open.

Any suggestions for me? Again, I'm really a beginner, so much of the lingo is over my head (but I have other strengths!!
Thanks,
Njogo

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by qole View Post
jaeezzy:
2) It sounds like you have outdated package lists. In Synaptic: Edit menu, Reload Package Information
Thanks qole for the answers everything worked like a magic except for the one above. I did that in Synaptic and got the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis.../Packages.bz2: Hash Sum mismatch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis...e/Sources.bz2: Hash Sum mismatch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dis.../Packages.bz2: Hash Sum mismatch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'apt-get update' results in the same message as above and trying to install mplayer gives me the following message:
sh-3.2# apt-get install mplayer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
mplayer: Depends: libavcodec51 (>= 0.svn20080206-8) but it is not going to be installed or
libavcodec-unstripped-51 (>= 0.svn20080206-8) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
sh-3.2#

Also, I'm into programming but I don't seem to figure out how in the world I can insert big brackets ( [ and ] ) in the editors like geany or in vim? 'Char' key in the n810 keyboard doesn't respond and there are these brackets in the lxde virtual keyboard but doesn't seem to work. Though pressing 'Shift' key turns the curly braces to '[' bracket but while pressing only curly braces is inserted in the editor and not '['.

Thank you

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2009-03-15 at 03:26.

njogo: You have to use the Debian Image Installer. It will take a long time (at least 30 minutes) once it starts downloading and extracting...

jaeezzy: I admit that I don't know what's wrong. That hash sum error is not normal.

EDIT: I think I know... Update to follow...

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-15 at 04:16.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice