Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
funny thing is that within a couple of years, bluetooth and wifi may well cooperate to do this automatically:
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/P...D_OF_80211.htm

Don't forget about walkinghotspot

Available for WinMo, S60.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukjeeper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by Kegetys View Post
Using both the WLAN and 3G on a mobile phone is a pretty good way to drain the battery dry very fast though, you're better off using bluetooth on my experience at least with Nokia phones (E51).
Am not worried about battery life. when am in the truck my phone will be pluged up. I FEED THE NEED FOR SPEED...LOL

Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
Don't forget about walkinghotspot

Available for WinMo, S60.
OK, so far we have a few sites that will turn your phone into a wireless router.

DO i HAVE to pay Sprint or AT&T an extra $30 or $60 which will allow the phone to tether before using any off these sites. Or does the phone simply needs to able to go online?

Maybe I only need a voice plan on my phone?

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
After doing some reading recently on howardforums.com, I found the consensus to be that you cannot activate a "smartphone" without a data plan.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
I found the consensus to be that you cannot activate a "smartphone" without a data plan.
That's certainly not the case in the UK, although some carriers apply that rule for some phones (e.g. T-Mobile with the G-1).

Regards,
Roger

Yeah, our 'cousins' get screwed by the carriers. We don't realise how lucky we are in Europe.

I can leave the NIT connected to my E90's DUN all day (as long as both are on a charger!!) without paying any extra.

Very useful at work, where we are afflicted with *spit* Websense on our desktops.

(Unless you just happen to find out which proxy connection is almost unrestricted on the work LAN...)

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
I would prefer this (which is also very small): http://www.slashgear.com/huawei-i-mo...-wifi-1334150/

Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
Yeah, our 'cousins' get screwed by the carriers. We don't realise how lucky we are in Europe.

I can leave the NIT connected to my E90's DUN all day (as long as both are on a charger!!) without paying any extra.

Very useful at work, where we are afflicted with *spit* Websense on our desktops.

(Unless you just happen to find out which proxy connection is almost unrestricted on the work LAN...)
I got that websense problem at work too.... I couldn't read a article from yahoo answers.

Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
After doing some reading recently on howardforums.com, I found the consensus to be that you cannot activate a "smartphone" without a data plan.
that is true....you have to keep you're data plan for 6 months; as far as I know.

I was trying to find out if these softwares requires a data plan to work?
Or does the phone only needs to be online?

Tags
3g phones, modem, wi-fi, wireless router