Active Topics

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the maemo community right now is celebrating a new browser (fennec) that can't do copy/paste, either, and nobody cares as long as it moves and blinks.
no, that's incorrect. nobody is celebrating fennec. a small crowd is trying it, and the response is quite negative. now, tear, on the other hand, is really maturing quite nicely; and of course, there's always ol' standby, microB, which doesn't leave much to be desired in the first place.

2011, probably.
ya, fennec development does seem to move at a snail's pace. now, tear, on the other hand....

Last edited by jmjanzen; 2009-03-20 at 20:11.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
no, that's incorrect. nobody is celebrating fennec. a small crowd is trying it, and the response is quite negative.
Strange, from the blogs I've read, there is quite an enthuasiastic response and a market for this application! There are also responses that Opera fits the bill; but those are from non-touchscreen users, and these users also approve the performance of Opera. Last time I checked the performance of MicroB wasn't to write home about.

The major complaints about Fennec come from forums like these, and the complainers seem to dislike the entire principle of the UI paradigm optimized for finger touch usage. Its like a dog hater buying a terrier, then complaining she doesn't like the terrier. Duh. Ofcourse you won't like the terrier if you don't like dogs! It is a dog, after all.

The huge disliking of the application you speak of is a myth. Most complaints are about bugs, reliability, or stability. In this regard, much has improved in the latest milestones (Tracemonkey is for example enabled). Besides that, if you have ever used Mozilla milestones you know the first ones are not production quality. This was the case with Mozilla M18 (later named Seamonkey) which I ran, and Mozilla Phoenix 0.1. They all had bugs and shortcomings, and some were indeed huge. Regarding Fennec, the roadmap also underlines this. Some rather basic features are also missing, such as copy/paste and scrollbars. For that bug reports might be necessary. I'm going to look into that.

now, tear, on the other hand, is really maturing quite nicely; and of course, there's always ol' standby, microB, which doesn't leave much to be desired in the first place
None of these browsers is optimized for finger-touch based usage. Let me guess: you're a stylus user? It is 2009, but good luck sticking with Maemo 4.x.

I'm wondering what kind of browser Maemo 5.0 will include. And how optimized the rendering engine and UI will be. It might just as well be a WebKit-based one too. Who knows.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I'm wondering what kind of browser Maemo 5.0 will include.
The Maemo Fremantle roadmap says "Expected: Beta SDK released between March-May, ready for application development including support for Mozilla based browser and Greasemonkey add-ons."

Or is there more to this than meets they eye?

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Is it true you can only attach one attachment to an email, one jpg taken with the iphone camera?

That is pretty lame.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
One attachment I think, yes. At least, w/o jailbreak. I don't know if its limited to only JPEG from iPhone camera. That'd suck. Even more, given the camera is pretty shitty...

And if someone sends you an attachment you can't save it anywhere to resend or do anything else with.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The major complaints about Fennec come from forums like these, and the complainers seem to dislike the entire principle of the UI paradigm optimized for finger touch usage.

None of these browsers is optimized for finger-touch based usage. Let me guess: you're a stylus user? It is 2009, but good luck sticking with Maemo 4.x.

Start Rant:

Dude, you have tried Android or iPhone right? Their UI kicks Fennec's (read: usable) a55. Fennec is complicating a simple problem. I just find it hard to use. In all seriousness, Firefox desktop edition is easier to use than fennec...

Also, I though tear was getting more and more "finger optimized" every day. For example, kinetic scrolling is pretty finger oriented. Of course it could be better.

And copy/paste is not the only feature added. There is FULL bluetooth, including AD2P, P2P gaming, and modem support. Of course this should have been included since day one, but at least apple is actually updating the freaking 1st Gen iPhone, unlike a certain other company that is abandoning a product released AFTER it, even though they promised they would never do it again...

End Rant

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Start Rant:
at least apple is actually updating the freaking 1st Gen iPhone, unlike a certain other company that is abandoning a product released AFTER it, even though they promised they would never do it again...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the freaking 1st gen iPhone (which is actually newer than N800) runs basically the same hardware as the latest one. So, until Apple comes out with a more recent processor (like the ARMv7 stuff in the next gen NIT) and THEN releases an OS update that will also be good for the 1st gen iPhones, we can't really compare, can we ?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The 3G and 1st can be thought of as the N810 and N800. Both basically same. I agree with this. People say (obviously) that iPhone 2 is in the works, like the RX-51 is. Sound similar? Apple is not abandoning their old devices (which i think is strange considering apple...), but Nokia has, leaving it up to the community to backport via Mer, even though I was under the impression that they would not do that...

O well, it was just a rant...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
My original intent was to show what I consider 'normal' (copy/paste) when it comes to our tablets is considered a 'feature' upgrade when Apple does it. I am thankful for what I can do with my N810 and this discussion certainly shows the diversity of opinions here.

I do believe that the usefulness of my N810 will directly depend on the contributions of the community and projects like Tear. No matter your opinion people here can see through hype and get down to the business of doing things that really matter.