Everyone knows n810 internal GPS sucks. And for T-mobile subscribers, TM506 seems to be the best 3G phone used to tether with n810/n800. This phone also has a built-in GPS. I was wondering if anyone had success in using TM506 as an external bluetooth GPS module for n810/n800?

According to Howardforums this can be done.. I just ordered my n810 so have been looking at some options as well... I love my E71 but unfortunately it doesn't work on Tmos funky 3g Frequency and I hate ATT...

So its either the TM506 (still reading reviews on battery life) or use my sprint 3g card with the cradlepoint router I set up in the truck... Only issue is the cradlepoint only lasts about 2 hours on battery life.

@dxitt

Have yet to get Maemo Mapper to turn on the TM506's GPS. MM will connect to the 506 through BT, but it is unable to start the GPS. I am using a T-Mobile branded firmware though, and that could be preventing my N810 from starting the GPS. However, if you've got a TMO data plan, just use the A-GPS Beta program with MM while you're tethered to the 506, and you "should" be seeing satellites in less than a minute. Also, if your not going to get a data plan, you will probably want to de-brand the phone, since the GPS on the TMO branded version sucks too!

@secgeek

The 506 has a great battery, but using GPS will drain it faster than any other activity on the phone. If your gonna use it all day, you'll want to buy a car adapter and/or some spare batteries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnyjapes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Johnnyjapes View Post
@dxitt

Have yet to get Maemo Mapper to turn on the TM506's GPS. MM will connect to the 506 through BT, but it is unable to start the GPS. I am using a T-Mobile branded firmware though, and that could be preventing my N810 from starting the GPS. However, if you've got a TMO data plan, just use the A-GPS Beta program with MM while you're tethered to the 506, and you "should" be seeing satellites in less than a minute. Also, if your not going to get a data plan, you will probably want to de-brand the phone, since the GPS on the TMO branded version sucks too!

@secgeek

The 506 has a great battery, but using GPS will drain it faster than any other activity on the phone. If your gonna use it all day, you'll want to buy a car adapter and/or some spare batteries.

TM506 GPS locks the location really fast. Try its preloaded TeleNav software, I got a lock in less than a minute. Way better than n810's sucky GPS, which is the motivation of using Tm506's GPS instead of n810's. Having a data plan is a separate issue, it doesn't improve n810's GPS lock time.

The battery was drained pretty quickly too on n810 if GPS is turned on. How frustrating would that be when you lose half of the battery power and it still hasn't got a location lock!

Originally Posted by dxitt View Post
TM506 GPS locks the location really fast. Try its preloaded TeleNav software, I got a lock in less than a minute. Way better than n810's sucky GPS, which is the motivation of using Tm506's GPS instead of n810's. Having a data plan is a separate issue, it doesn't improve n810's GPS lock time.

The battery was drained pretty quickly too on n810 if GPS is turned on. How frustrating would that be when you lose half of the battery power and it still hasn't got a location lock!
Having a data plan is not a separate issue. Having the N810 tethered to the TM506's 3G data connection makes the N810 GPS work the way Nokia always wanted it to. I can barely get a fix on either device in the NY metro area without using AGPS. Plus AGPS seems to save the N810's battery just a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Phone

And that's also why I use amAze on the TM506, great software, even the voice navigation works great. Oh yeah and it's FREE!

Anyway I'll be de-branding the TM506 on Friday. I'll post here if I get it to work as an external GPS.

Please let us how it goes with debranded tm506...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
There is Java (J2ME) app called ExtGPS which can export your GPS internal device over BlueTooth for an other device, like a laptop or the NIT

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
There is Java (J2ME) app called ExtGPS which can export your GPS internal device over BlueTooth for an other device, like a laptop or the NIT
I have also had some success using minigpsd to connect to a Motorola i776 GPS.
This phone however, couldn't seem to manage both the BT DUN data tether and the BT NMEA out GPS serial connection at the same time.

I hope the TM506 works out better for you.

Hi, I would like to use my Samsung i617 BlackjackII (which is a windows mobile smartphone, not pocket pc) as an external gps for my n800. Is there any way I can do this?, yodude how did you do that wih the minigpsd software?.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Hey Allnameswereout,

I installed extGPS on my TM506 and it runs. I have to also launch my Location Services on my phone to get the GPS satellite hardware turned on. Once both are running the extGPS says "Fix NMEA-0183" and then "Bluetooth: Not Connected".

My laptop actually connects just find but my N810 will not show as connected. Even thought I'm connected through it right now to type this message. I know it's because I need to be using the SPP port for the GPS. But how do I set that up?

The ExtGPS site has this Linux tutorial but I'm not so hot at finding the first command which isn't installed on my N810.
http://www.symarctic.com/beta/index....y071105-201719