Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Los Angeles, CA
If this was Paypal you could easily pay him back. But he sent a money order. Who's idea was that?

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Comment?

A promise is a promise. Some keep it some don't.

We know we all should keep it.

Life is much simpler if we all can keep our promises. Including the ones we promise to ourself.

Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
If this was Paypal you could easily pay him back. But he sent a money order. Who's idea was that?
His.

I've sold it for $200 cash. My sincere apologies to basenjiwarrior for the drama.

I'm no legal expert here, but the sale of the tablet went through a "good faith" agreement. In the US, a "good faith" agreement is more or less a contractless sale. It's when two parties negotiate a price for a product or service, and when a final amount is made, the buyer is obligated to pay said amount, and the seller is obligated to deliver for said amount. No paper needs to be signed to make it legally binding. However, if the buyer pays for the product and the seller chooses to raise the price after the payment is made, that's considered fraud.

However, if the seller returns the payment to the buyer instead, that immediately voids the sale and the "good faith" contract it created. If buyer and seller never agree upon a price, and the buyer sent payment anyways (at the price they wanted to pay for example), no contract exists, so the only action available to the seller is to return the money to the buyer.

So, with that in mind, and given what I've gathered here, the seller offered the product locally, the attempted buyer contacted them, but was rebuffed. The attempted buyer really wanted it bad, and sent payment anyways before achieving consensus on the price and terms with the seller. Since no consensus was reached, the seller could still legally sell the NIT to someone else, and only needed to return the check to the attempted buyer when it arrived.

Question to AnthemAVM--

Did you ever find one? I have one here, 2 months old (I have a post on this forum for sale). If you are interested in mine, let me know.

I have a like new N810 that I'd like to sell. Please PM me or reply here. I tried to PM a couple of you but it won't let me for some reason. Maybe I don't have enough posts?

I am in the Rochester, NY area.

I decided to go with a netbook, plus my employer is upgrading my cell for me based on some new job responsibilities.