Active Topics

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA

That was a great game, I remember the scene.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
well, gogol, thanks for posting a followup. I guess there's still a bit to do. I was running original OS on my 770, recently tried the latest 2007HE and found it slower.. I'm not giving up hope, the OS-HE people are pulling off miracles and I'm sure they can make 2008he usable, but miracles don't happen overnight

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
well well now! miracles can happen! after using os2008 for a while i noticed the cpu was at 100 all the time...due to a process called metalayer-crawler. after reading another post about this, i did the following:

open xterminal
sudo gainroot (install becomeroot if you haven't already)
cd /usr/bin
mv metalayer-crawler metalayer-crawler.sux
reboot

after doing that, os2008 is becoming quite usable! been on it all morning without any hangups or crashes. (im typing this from it)

also, installing adblock speeds up browsing tremendously.

now i can actually hang up a call in gizmo without it crashing, install all manner of greasemonkey scripts, and even check voicemail with the built-in SIP client.

ive successfully installed the following:
maemo mapper
gizmo 4
adblock plus
greasemonkey
flash 9
cpu monitor/process killer (i forget it's name)
...possibly others i cant recall. all work as well and often better than previously in 2007HE.

what's that dang metalayer-crawler doing with 100% cpu anyhow? it was draining battery life horribly and making the unit reboot quite a bit too.

anyhow, after that fix, i'm a satisfied user of the new OS ! thank you.

Last edited by gogol; 2008-02-28 at 19:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gogol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
metalayer-crawler is the media search daemon of the built in media player. You can do well without it

Mmm, love the sudden ajaxification of the forum

any news on os2008he? I just got a 2GB memory card for my 770 so that I can make better use of it, and os2008he would be a good start!

keep up the good work!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
any news on os2008he? I just got a 2GB memory card for my 770 so that I can make better use of it, and os2008he would be a good start!
http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...ook_level.html

any updates? I've been hacking around on my 770 to use as internet radio player and messenger for wife and it'd be nice if it could catch up somewhat... or maybe I should wait for DIABLO-HE? :-)

It's not entirely clear (to me) that there will be a Diablo HE produced; they said something in the OS2008 release about realizing this is as far as the HEs can go, but as Diablo is still a OS2008 variant, it's still possibly included.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cincy,Ohio
Originally Posted by gogol View Post
well well now! miracles can happen! after using os2008 for a while i noticed the cpu was at 100 all the time...due to a process called metalayer-crawler. after reading another post about this, i did the following:

open xterminal
sudo gainroot (install becomeroot if you haven't already)
cd /usr/bin
mv metalayer-crawler metalayer-crawler.sux
reboot

after doing that, os2008 is becoming quite usable! been on it all morning without any hangups or crashes. (im typing this from it)

also, installing adblock speeds up browsing tremendously.

now i can actually hang up a call in gizmo without it crashing, install all manner of greasemonkey scripts, and even check voicemail with the built-in SIP client.

ive successfully installed the following:
maemo mapper
gizmo 4
adblock plus
greasemonkey
flash 9
cpu monitor/process killer (i forget it's name)
...possibly others i cant recall. all work as well and often better than previously in 2007HE.

what's that dang metalayer-crawler doing with 100% cpu anyhow? it was draining battery life horribly and making the unit reboot quite a bit too.

anyhow, after that fix, i'm a satisfied user of the new OS ! thank you.
Thank you a million times for the hack to Metalayer.
Tried removing it in 2007 HE and it too is now faster!
Will now try 2008 HE,because I want Fring. Many thanks!