Active Topics

Hey All!

I am planning to gift N810 to my brother and I have a few questions. I have been doing some research on the following questions I feel there is a mixed feeling amongst users.

? How good is N810 to be used as a multimedia player?
? Some of the reviewers on Amazon.com say that if someone wants
to use N810 primarily as a multimedia player, then he/she should
look for something else. What are your experiences?
? How good is the video quality? How is the audio playback?
? I understand that video player is not as intuitive as other players
like iPod Touch. Is this a deal breaker?
? I have also seen some youtube video reviews that say that web
browsing/ web page loading is not quick. Now assuming that
internet would be primarily used for checking emails and sending
one liner replies and using meebo for messaging, how does the
device perform for these uses?
? Can you use webcam on meebo for video chat?

My brother would use the device as a multimedia player + email + chat (video chat on google chat would be a bonus) For these uses how much would you rate N810 on the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.

How would you rate it against iPod Touch 8 GB 2nd generation.

Thanks much for your time!
Vj

The iPod touch will have better video smoothness since it's pushing 1/2 the pixels w/200MHz more processor. The web browser isn't bad either. The n810 may be overkill for what you're purchasing this device for.

What OS does your brother run? Is he used to syncing an iPod or comfortable moving files around with an SD card? My wife has a touch, I have an n810. There's no way she'd enjoy the n810, and I can't stand the limitations of her iPod.

I guess the point is, if he's the type that would jailbreak the ipod, then the n810 is the way to go. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/the ipod.

The Following User Says Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Thanks much for your reply! My brother uses Windows XP home edition. He has never used iPod (touch) before. You mentioned a very good point in your last (and first) sentence. I guess I'll just need to know his comfort level. Do you see any pixelation in you videos on N810? Have you tried using video chat on meebo? My bro really seems inclined towards N810.
Thanks once again for your time and reply!
Vj

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
? How good is N810 to be used as a multimedia player?
? Some of the reviewers on Amazon.com say that if someone wants
to use N810 primarily as a multimedia player, then he/she should
look for something else. What are your experiences?
? How good is the video quality? How is the audio playback?
? I understand that video player is not as intuitive as other players
like iPod Touch. Is this a deal breaker?
There is a program called canola that works great as an intuitive media player. It plays all kinds of media including youtube. Some people don't like it because it takes an astonishing 20 seconds to load. Maybe the touch's interface is still better but there are not many devices that let you listen to an internet radio stream, browse the internet, and instant message all at the same time like internet tablet's let you do. The video and audio quality has been great for me except sometimes it's hard to skip forward in a video.

? Can you use webcam on meebo for video chat?
I am not that familiar with meebo but it looks like it's a program that includes aim, yahoo, msn and other chat services. There are 3 different programs for the internet tablet that have many chat services built in. So meebo itself he cannot use, but there are alternatives. Now the video chat is a problem. Using 2 gizmo accounts and a program called xlite installed on a pc, it's possible to video chat from the internet tablet to a pc. But that seems to be the only known way.

The Following User Says Thank You to blowfish23 For This Useful Post:
Thanks blowfish23!
So I guess it would be safe to say that N810 is a decent multimedia player?
Any pixelation seen while playing videos (?) - I am really concerned about this particular issue.
I understand if youtube takes 20 seconds. People have very high expectations.
I am really only interested in knowing if the web browsing speed is decent for short but frequent use like checking (& quick one liner responding to) emails and sports news etc...I like the fact that it has SIP (right?). I don't think lack of video chat would be a deal breaker.

Thanks again for your time!
Vj

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
The n810 does many things adequately. It's greatest strength is it's flexibility, openness and connectivity. This is also it's biggest weakness, because it does not do one thing particularly well. (Compared to a dedicated media player such as the iPod Touch.)
Having said that, you'd be hard pressed to find another device that can:
a) browse the web
b) connect to your PC
c) make phone calls via Skype, Gizmo
d) get GPS directions
e) play music & watch video
Admittedly, you have to have a bit of a techie mindset to take advantage of the device.
I've had mine since December and have absolutely no regrets.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
i think all these reviews point towards buying the n810. btw, are you buying the n810 at a sale price? if so, could you share? thanks. hopefully its amazon, cause i am most comfortable with them

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA

If he's aware of the purchase and is leaning toward the n810, that's the way to go. I've had no pixelation issues watching videos (and currently have the original Star Wars trilogy on here for long lines). Unfortunately, I can't help much w/meebo.

The Following User Says Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Thanks much everyone. All you have been of great help to me! It has definitely made me comfortable in buying N810. I guess I'll soon start posting for help on tweaks! Just one more question guys. Which miniSD card should I buy? Which class should it be? Thanks again you all for your time & replies!

@fast1
I will be buying it from Amazon.com. They have the best price.

Tags
best calculator, n810 apps, n810 features, n810 media plyer, n810 purchase, n810 vs ipod touch, pre buy, satan love me!, useful apps