Active Topics

Hi!! I've been looking into buying a mobile PC for always on connectivity and also working without having to take out my notebook.

I had many options but I decided to go with the N810 because it has Linux; my first question is: does this mean I can run any application that would run in another distribution (using Maemo)? If not, are there other distributions for the N810 that would allow this?

Next, I'd like to know if I can delete the standard map application (the one that requires subscription) and use MaemoMapper for Argentine maps. I know where to get the maps for standard GPS, but will this work??

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Genkido View Post
...does this mean I can run any application that would run in another distribution (using Maemo)?
The tablets are ARM, not x86, and Linux applications must be compiled appropriately. Not all are or can be, at least not easily. That said, Easy Debian will likely suit many of your needs.

Seems good Will definitely give it a try. What about the maps problem?

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
The standard map application only requires a subscription for route planning. It works just fine as a map without any subscription. You can indeed use maemo mapper instead but that only plans routes and downloads maps when connected to the internet, so it isn't always convenient. Personally I use both applications but if I want street level maps of a city the builtin app works better for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
To clarify what Duncan is saying, using Maemo Mapper requires planning.
One needs an Internet Connection to download maps and routes.
You can store these routes and load them when necessary.
You don't need to be online to use Maemo Mapper.
For more see http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/