Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm just guessing here, but a 56 key keypad sounds a lot like a Blackberry type of thumb keyboard... No idea if that makes any sense but that was my first reaction...

Portable keyboards (ex. Think Outside) have about 56 keys.

The n810 has 40-odd keys, so it you added on a row of dedicated numeric keys, that would bring the total up to that sort of number.

As I was just watching a video about the UMID M1, I counted the keys, and it has 56

Last edited by lardman; 2009-03-02 at 16:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Hello. I've been away, so forgive me (I did search, though I may have formed it poorly). Has anyone compiled a list of possible announcement venues/date for the RX-51? As in, trade shows that Nokia has admitted intention to attend and/or participate in. Anyone?

Also, (and yes I search for this too), any comment on the possibility of large built in storage capacity (32 GB or higher) if they're going to continue on evolutionary path that the n810 is on (i.e. 1 slot & built in storage) vs. the n800 (two glorious full sized slots). Lastly, on wireless connectivity, on the high bandwidth front, UWB was until recently the presumed shoe-in for high bandwidth, short range data transfer. The more recent challenger is some sort of bluetooth(for the handshaking)/wifi(for the actual data transfer) hybrid, which does not support as high a transfer rate as UWB (400Mb/s vs 54Mb/s), but is supposedly something that can be implemented via software, in devices now....if you have the appropriate chip(s).
http://i.gizmodo.com/5154863/bluetoo...-our-pants-off

Any idea on what, if any, flavor of high bandwidth, low power wireless data transfer the RX-51 might support.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
The n810 has 40-odd keys, so it you added on a row of dedicated numeric keys, that would bring the total up to that sort of number.
You mean keys in the keyboard, the cursor (d-pad), swap/escape, fullscreen, zoom, power and slide lock keys add up to about 53 (IIRC).

Some info about a likely upcoming tablet:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10484...chscreens.html

One of the new models to be rolled out over the next 12 months has a 4.2-inch touchscreen and a "hidden slide-out keyboard," and is considered a mobile Internet device or tablet. The device is targeted for introduction in the fourth quarter before Christmas.
I don't think it's the only tablet device though - there seems to be little reason to wait till Q4 for the first release of a tablet, now that Maemo 5 is entering beta testing soon-ish...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
there seems to be little reason to wait till Q4 for the first release of a tablet, now that Maemo 5 is entering beta testing soon-ish...
maemo related roadmaps, both hardware and software, have been hard to explain (even with hindsight) ever since the N810.

so don't count on reason too much.

one possibility that could lead to a device released much later than expected (even though the software is more or less finished) could be the inclusion of a really new hardware feature that simply doesn't work as expected (yet) or isn't available in large quantities.

of course, i do hope all of this is just rubbish and gossip and we'll have a new device with a decent hardcover by june, 18th.

Another, somewhat related scrap of info is coming from Eldar Murtazin - he blogged about Nokia's big Linux/Maemo plans a while ago, and UnwiredView translated the most important infos (Google Translator really just butchered the Russian blog post into incoherent gibberish):

• Nokia is committing very serious resources to the development of it’s own new Linux platform (originating from Maemo but significantly rewritten and much more advanced). It will be launching the new type of mobile devices/computers/communicators based on it later this year.
  • These Linux based devices will start the new Nokia high end product line, which will take place of the current N-Series. Nokia S60/Symbian devices will be moving from the top of the line to the mid tier/mass market segment of Nokia inventory.
  • The new Linux platform and devices most likely will be unveiled in late summer/early fall at a big launch event in Germany.
And that "big launch event in Germany" was also revealed today: Nokia World 2009, September 2-3, Stuttgart.

http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/home.htm

Interesting stuff, but still quite a while away...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Mhm... could the "originating from Maemo but significantly rewritten and much more advanced" part be Maemo5? After all, it originates from (current) Maemo, but is significanctly rewritten and more advanced....

OTOH, maybe they'll need another branch of Maemo to satisfy the needs of the cell phone market... If this is true.

...or/and the netbook market they're rumored to enter?

We'll see how much of these infos turn out to be true in a couple of months...Eldar is usually a quite reliable source for infos though.

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51