Active Topics

Poll: Should I trade up my n800 for an n810?
Poll Options
Should I trade up my n800 for an n810?

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
basically I just plugged it in. it's a bit peculiar in that numlock is on by default and I have to mash a load of keys to turn it off and it happens by magic. I need to spend a bit of time figuring it out

I just bought a n810 for the better screen. I can't read my n800 screen in the sun. The keyboard takes some getting used to and the gps is nowhere near as good as my freedom keychain 2000.

Still I'm happy I bought it but what I like least about it is that you have to slide out the kb to use the menu key and d-pad.

I've kept the n800 too and will wait a while before I upgrade to the new generation tablet.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
I've kept the n800 too and will wait a while before I upgrade to the new generation tablet.
Yeah, I should just wait for the new iteration of the internet tablet. Oh, well.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I kept my N800 and bought an N810. I never use the N800 now. There are a lot of small improvements in the N810 that make it better to have. It is faster. The hardware buttons are placed better.

Most of the highlighted improvements are no big deal. The keyboard is not faster than the virtual keyboard. The screen is hardly noticeable as an improvement; the N810 isn't that great in direct sunlight. I find the N810's GPS pretty good, though. I am not interested in carrying a GPS AND a cell phone (essential) AND a tablet, so the N810 means I get GPS.

So maybe it is correct that the N810 isn't worth trading up for. Still, the N810 is better.

I actually ordered an n810 to replace my beloved n800, I have a g1 google phone so this fills in a lot where the tablet did, but I can turn the power of my 3g net into an wifi AP, not ad-hoc which is cool, but after some thought ie:

The wimax is coming soon, and nokia has learned a lot from the nits and now will combine a NIT with 3g support so just this year there will be some great devices, the NITs were a stepping stone to a mobile pc, a PDA and a phone, in 1 slick package, they are still addicted to symbian so there will be some cool new smartfones...

Id say that the g1 is a G.Ait googandroidtmob internet tablet,
These devices are converging and there will have to be a reclassicification of what an internet tablet is or is not.

A g1 would keep you happy with a cool linux toy, it will hold you over till the next gen nits come out, that's what I decided my n800 and g1 will hold me over till we see this years toys, so I returned the n810.

Bhang

Last edited by bhang; 2009-04-11 at 12:19.