Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

There's also the other issue of WiFi power saving not working currently. How many of you have "hot" tablets when running Mer?
Well, I notice the tablet to be a bit warmer running Mer than in Maemo and the battery dies much quicker than expected. As if the lock keys and screen/dim functions don't exactly do anything in saving battery. I am guessing the battery life using Mer to be between two to three hours.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Well, I notice the tablet to be a bit warmer running Mer than in Maemo and the battery dies much quicker than expected. As if the lock keys and screen/dim functions don't exactly do anything in saving battery. I am guessing the battery life using Mer to be between two to three hours.
Yes, i have same problem. After turning wlan-powersave manually on, Power usage is very similar to Maemo. I am now using Mer day-to-day, because it has a lot more features and, with the wlan-powersave on, it doesn't eat battery any worse that maemo does.

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
gave mer a virtualbox spin, and the statusbar is highly "random"...

somehow i suspect the window selecting applet have been pushed off screen, for example...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by tso View Post

somehow i suspect the window selecting applet have been pushed off screen, for example...
Yeah, panels are messed up in 0.11. 0.12 has it fixed already (did you know that Panels control panel dies horribly if there's no home applets installed?)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
OK I'll try that ...
I suppose the installation guide should be amended if it works
I have the same problem of mer desktop crashing and showing only the background pictures. Can you confirm problem is in the filesystem type of the swap partition?

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Yes, i have same problem. After turning wlan-powersave manually on, Power usage is very similar to Maemo. I am now using Mer day-to-day, because it has a lot more features and, with the wlan-powersave on, it doesn't eat battery any worse that maemo does.
What apps do you have running and where can I find them apps. I've been searching the web for debian apps and ubuntu but, its taking me forever.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yeah, panels are messed up in 0.11. 0.12 has it fixed already (did you know that Panels control panel dies horribly if there's no home applets installed?)
I need 0.12.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post

I found that editing the ~/.osso/hildon-desktop/marquee.conf file directly helps enormously. You can move stuff around on the marquee, and make sure that everything is loading properly.

I find that the clock-plugin tends to cause problems.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
What apps do you have running and where can I find them apps. I've been searching the web for debian apps and ubuntu but, its taking me forever.
Googling for software is what windows users do it's not a good way to find apps for most linux distros, especially when using arm architecture. Hildonized apps (modified for the hildon-desktop used in Maemo and Mer) are available in Mer repository and they are installable via the Application Manager. All the ubuntu stuff is not hildonized, so it's not there. For Ubuntu apps, you have to use apt. Just goto XTerminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install <name of package>
For another example:
If you want Arora web-browser, do the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
This downloads list of latest packages and their locations.

Code:
sudo apt-get install arora
This downloads and installs Arora from ubuntu repository.

If you want to search for packages, you can use apt-cache.
Code:
apt-cache search arora
gives you a list of packages that have something to do with word "arora"

There are some GTK application-managers like synaptic you could also try

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I found that editing the ~/.osso/hildon-desktop/marquee.conf file directly helps enormously. You can move stuff around on the marquee, and make sure that everything is loading properly.

I find that the clock-plugin tends to cause problems.
Yes, I am definitely staying away from the clock plugin. I've learn my lessons by now.

Tags
firmware, linux distribution, mer, mer release