I've always danced around the idea of installing a carputer in my car. Then I bought an N800. It does everything you'd want a carputer to do. Music, 3G through a phone, navigation and a very good touchscreen interface to top it all off. The screen is just a little small for a nice permanent car install.

I'm thinking it'd be possible to use an EeePC LCD (7" 800x480) and the touchscreen kit (works over USB, IIRC) could be used with the N800.

Does anyone have a mfg or part number for the LCD where I could get pinout information? While the connectors likely won't match up I bet the controlling signals do.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Why not just buy a netbook, and mod the touchscreen kit onto it? Won't that be easier? Also better, because it has more horsepower and software? Not to mention some of the new ones have 3G built in?

I mean, it you are going through all the trouble to somehow connect a different LCD to the N800, and a USB touchscreen (which would require a powered hub and drivers), you can obviously mod a netbook to do the same...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Your best bet is a Rev. C Beagle Board. Plenty of horsepower, good power saving, reasonable price and the LCD controller pins are available right on the board.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Just attaching a different lcd usually doesn't work that well. Lots of Lcds are pretty picky regarding sync polarity and exact sync timing. You'd likely have to adjust your video timing (using a kernel patch) when replacing the n800's screen.

I have just finished building myself a nice little 7 inch 800x480 screen for my beagleboard. While i built a little hdmi converter for this, is still have to exactly meet the lcds timing. I have done the required kernel patches for angstrom as well as the maemo5 alpha.

But believe me, it's usually more than just replacing the lcd.

Regarding the rev c board: I don't fully understand why accessing the lcd signals directly is an advantage. You'll still need level shifters to adopt from the bbs 1.8v interface to the 3.3v most lcds use. This isn't cheaper nor simpler than a simple hdmi-to-parallel converter. Plus hdmi cables a easier to handle than a 22 bits parallel cable required to directly attach an lcd.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Just attaching a different lcd usually doesn't work that well. Lots of Lcds are pretty picky regarding sync polarity and exact sync timing. You'd likely have to adjust your video timing (using a kernel patch) when replacing the n800's screen.
You might be better then replacing the LCD with something like a plasma screen.

at least then you could reverse the polarity of the warp core and vent plasma if it goes wrong.
Hell, you could try modulating the shields until you find a frequency that works.

if it all fails, I suggest using the main deflector dish to send a focused tachyon beam into the array.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Eh sounds like more work than I expected. I wanted to shoot for the N800 because I love the Maemo OS (and Maemo Mapper) the later of which I've not seen compiled for x86. It works so well with my BT GPS and my BT 3G tether.

I will take a peep at that BeagleBoard though.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Navit is MUCH MUCH better for car navigation. Sadly its Maemo Port is still in development. However, the Ubuntu port, which will run fine on the EEE, is great. Seriously, what is the aversion to x86 products? Just suspend it, don't shut it down...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
For me the aversion comes from the fact it won't wake itself up to receive a SIP/Skype call, an IM or email message (basically battery life), and the pocketability factor.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
For me the aversion comes from the fact it won't wake itself up to receive a SIP/Skype call, an IM or email message (basically battery life), and the pocketability factor.
Not a problem for a carputer.

Has anyone ever tried to customize the N8*0 like the video of the Aximizer (Axim X51V? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELANGsiaq5M