Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
I've a new E71 and I was trying to pair its GPS with my N810.

Bluetooth connection works fine (I use it to tether), an E71's shows GPS's location almost immediatly. However when I launch wayfinder on the N810 with a paired E71 it seems to never get a lock.

Am I missing something?

thanks, soprano

Search the forums for ExtGPS that can be installed on the E71. This will allow you to share the E71 GPS to the Tablet. On the tablet, you can then select the GPS instead of using the internal one. I haven't used this with wayfinder, but know it works with maemo mapper.

Ok, this can be done, but why? I could see doing this with an N800 because it doesn't have a built in gps, but the N810 does? Am I missing something here?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
@jackburton: works, thanks a lot!

@CVBruce: you're right, but there are cases where that's useful: for example in a train I can place the E71 against the window and check the map at my place, where my N810 would never get a lock.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by CVBruce View Post
Ok, this can be done, but why? I could see doing this with an N800 because it doesn't have a built in gps, but the N810 does? Am I missing something here?
The N810 takes about 10 mins to get a gps lock.
I have a HTC Touch Pro...it takes about 3 seconds to get a lock...SERIOUSLY about 2 to 3 seconds.

N E Way I am trying to use my Touch Pro gps on my N810, it pair fine but I don't think my Pro is communicating with my tablet.

Everything else is working but this...I have Internet Sharing working fine also.
When I launch my Sprint GPS it ask me to give it an ID...which I see under the GPS section in my control panel....so I know for a fact the N810 is communicating with my Pro's GPS.

Any advices....Thanks.

O yeah....in control panel if I try to get GPS location details....i get a message saying >> Unable to refresh GPS location <<.

Thanks.

Last edited by crasbelize; 2009-05-27 at 01:47. Reason: more information.

Any body heard off GPSGATE?
http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp?platform=winxp

I have this app on my touch pro (sprint) but something tells me it is not design for anything Linux related.

Is there a extGPS app for windows mobile 6.1 > and my N810 could pair with?

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
The N810 takes about 10 mins to get a gps lock.
I have a HTC Touch Pro...it takes about 3 seconds to get a lock...SERIOUSLY about 2 to 3 seconds.
The reason is very simple: it uses A-GPS and it uses the GSM pole positions to assist to a quick fix. I have the same with the Nokia 5800. But I tested it in an area without GSM coverage and after 30 minutes walking NO FIX with the 5800. I tested both the N810 and 5800 (the latter with A-GPS disabled) and the N810 fixed even earlier (but stll after several minutes).
So I think the N810 and phones with GPS have a poor GPS unit. That is why I use a Bluetooth GPS which fixes within a few minutes in the worst case and many times within a minute, without GSM network.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
The reason is very simple: it uses A-GPS and it uses the GSM pole positions to assist to a quick fix. I have the same with the Nokia 5800. But I tested it in an area without GSM coverage and after 30 minutes walking NO FIX with the 5800. I tested both the N810 and 5800 (the latter with A-GPS disabled) and the N810 fixed even earlier (but stll after several minutes).
So I think the N810 and phones with GPS have a poor GPS unit. That is why I use a Bluetooth GPS which fixes within a few minutes in the worst case and many times within a minute, without GSM network.

Did you find out how the pair your 5800's GPS with your N810?