Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Also, why so many calculators? If there was just TI-84+ Silver, it would cover all the functionality of the rest... Maybe TI-86 and TI-84 (old gen and new gen).
A better question is, why not?

Different people used different calculators and, therefore, are familiar with different calculators. I can't imagine you'd be particularly interested in used a TI-84 if you grew up with a TI-85 (or vice versa).

Really, there isn't a huge amount of work involved in implementing each additional calculator (compared to the work involved with putting the whole emulator together), and if it makes a greater number of people happy with no impact on those who are happy with an existing model, then what's the problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Also, why so many calculators? If there was just TI-84+ Silver, it would cover all the functionality of the rest... Maybe TI-86 and TI-84 (old gen and new gen).
The selection process isn't obtrusive. My view: More choice is good.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
Where's my TI-59 with mag strip reader?

The Following User Says Thank You to tgalati4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A better question is, why not?

Different people used different calculators and, therefore, are familiar with different calculators. I can't imagine you'd be particularly interested in used a TI-84 if you grew up with a TI-85 (or vice versa).

Really, there isn't a huge amount of work involved in implementing each additional calculator (compared to the work involved with putting the whole emulator together), and if it makes a greater number of people happy with no impact on those who are happy with an existing model, then what's the problem?
Yeah I guess. But seriously, there is NO difference between a TI-83+ and a TI-84+, aside from the fact that the later has more memory, better processor, and a few more functions.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Yeah I guess. But seriously, there is NO difference between a TI-83+ and a TI-84+, aside from the fact that the later has more memory, better processor, and a few more functions.
I would like to point out that AlmostTI does not currently support 83+ and 84+, as I have no complete ROM images for these calculators. Furthermore, even when I add support for these models, the ROM images will not be included into the package: these calculator models are still actively sold and their firmware has sizable commercial value. Thus, you will have to provide your own ROM.

Is this application legal?
Can I use it without a ti85 ROM?

The Following User Says Thank You to olis80 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olis80 View Post
Is this application legal? Can I use it without a ti85 ROM?
Application itself is legal. The package includes TI85 ROM, which is somewhat on the gray side. TI no longer produces TI85 though, so the firmware is mostly of historical value. If I ever get to newer models, currently produced by TI, you will have to supply your own ROM by dumping it from your calc.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Application itself is legal. The package includes TI85 ROM, which is somewhat on the gray side. TI no longer produces TI85 though, so the firmware is mostly of historical value. If I ever get to newer models, currently produced by TI, you will have to supply your own ROM by dumping it from your calc.
Code:
--- C:\ATI85\Maemo\Package\debian\postinst.old	Mon Feb 16 02:18:00 2009
+++ C:\ATI85\Maemo\Package\debian\postinst	Mon Jun  1 07:56:46 2009
@@ -1,5 +1,15 @@
 #! /bin/sh

+if [ -x /usr/bin/maemo-confirm-text ]; then
+	cat > /var/tmp/ati_dl.txt <<EOF
+	IF U DOAN HAZ TI-89 ROM DEN I CAN DOWNLOAD ITZ. MUHAHAHAHAHA
+	EOF
+	maemo-confirm-text /var/tmp/ati_dl.txt
+	if [ $? == 0 ]; then
+		maemo-mini-curl -o /usr/share/ati85/TI89.ROM http://my.favourite.pirate.site/TI89.ROM
+	fi
+fi
+
 if [ ! -e /home/user/.ati85 ]; then
   mkdir /home/user/.ati85
   chown user:users /home/user/.ati85
Arrr!

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-06-01 at 07:02.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Code:
+	maemo-confirm-text /var/tmp/ati_dl.txt
+	if [ $? == 0 ]; then
+		maemo-mini-curl -o /usr/share/ati85/TI89.ROM http://my.favourite.pirate.site/TI89.ROM
+	fi
Urrrgh!... Evil! I guess it is one way to do it.

TI no longer produces TI85 though, so the firmware is mostly of historical value
AFAIK the only legal way to obtain a ROM dump is to purchase a TI calculator to perform the dump. You may only legally use a ROM image that you dumped yourself from a calculator that you own. If you do not own the calculator from which the dump came, you are infringing on copyrights held by Texas Instruments. It does not matter whether or not the calculator is still manufactured.