Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I can think of one reason - to keep it visually consistent with other Maemo devices. Applications designed for higher res (and all Maemo apps are designed for 800x480) would look bad on a lower res screen.
Has anybody noticed based on the alpha SDK that the UI layout has changed? Hasn't anybody missed the task switcher on the left side of the desktop? Well, maybe everybody considers it to be hidden in the SDK. In fact, we removed the task switcher on the left side of the desktop. While we kept the screen resolution to WVGA, we make now more space to apps than in Maemo 4. If a Maemo 5 device would have a 4 inch display, the application would actually have more real estate than before (except if it would run only in full view mode) because we don't have that task bar on the left. If a Maemo 5 device would have a slightly smaller display, then the amount of display available to the application would be actually more or less the same.

In regards to usability of applications, anybody reading the Hildon Interface guidelines in Usability Principles we published with the beta SDK? Here is a little quote: "A mobile device is not a desktop nor a laptop computer. The screen size is an obvious and big difference. Small size screens make the experience of interacting with an application really different from a standard computer screen.

Hildon is designed for touch interfaces and if you wish your application to be used with fingers be aware of the size the widgets the user will interact with. Small touch surfaces, for example a small button, make it difficult and frustrating for the users."

The usability guidelines are not only for our own developers, but we shared them also with the community in good time so that app developers can make use of the new UI layout and use the complete real estate. We have less "dead stuff" such the task switcher on the left side that clutters the UI. This allows us to make better use of the display. How we do the task switching is still not public, but I'll promise that we keep Maemo a multitasking environment and we won't use up valuable real estate on the display.

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2009-05-25 at 18:05.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Has anybody noticed based on the alpha SDK that the UI layout has changed? Hasn't anybody missed the task switcher on the left side of the desktop? Well, maybe everybody considers it to be hidden in the SDK. In fact, we removed the task switcher on the left side of the desktop. While we kept the screen resolution to WVGA, we make now more space to apps than in Maemo 4. If a Maemo 5 device would have a 4 inch display, the application would actually have more real estate than before (except if it would run only in full view mode) because we don't have that task bar on the left. If a Maemo 5 device would have a slightly smaller display, then the amount of display available to the application would be actually more or less the same.

In regards to usability of applications, anybody reading the Hildon Interface guidelines in Usability Principles we published with the beta SDK? Here is a little quote: "A mobile device is not a desktop nor a laptop computer. The screen size is an obvious and big difference. Small size screens make the experience of interacting with an application really different from a standard computer screen.

Hildon is designed for touch interfaces and if you wish your application to be used with fingers be aware of the size the widgets the user will interact with. Small touch surfaces, for example a small button, make it difficult and frustrating for the users."

The usability guidelines are not only for our own developers, but we shared them also with the community in good time so that app developers can make use of the new UI layout and use the complete real estate. We have less "dead stuff" such the task switcher on the left side that clutters the UI. This allows us to make better use of the display. How we do the task switching is still not public, but I'll promise that we keep Maemo a multitasking environment and we won't use up valuable real estate on the display.
I am not sure how many of us do stuff without pressing the full screen button.... but for me the first thing i press if the app i am using is not in full screen is the full screen button. I have never used any app in the windowed mode. I am sure that many of the users are similar.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think most of us can agree that The General doesn't like to speculate too far from the Nokia tree. And let's say that for a non-Nokia employee that he's as likely as any to catch wind of something. Now, take his quote below and add it to what ex-Nokian Texrat has alluded to. I would guess there's another 2009 Nokia device that might be more to this community's liking.
Again, I can neither confirm nor deny. All I can say is:

- it was my understanding the tablet would be platformed, meaning various iterations along a theme. My impression was that N810 validated this... but when the N800 was discontinued with no direct replacement, I began to doubt.

- I have no specific knowledge of the RX-71. In my last role I was responsible for keeping abreast of soon-to-be-released products but that one was apparently so far out that there was no info for me, and apparently not yet necessary for me to get involved. That was as of November 2008.

My sinking assessment as a nonNokian now is, based on the above, that Nokia is stumbling in the platforming area. There should be slight overlaps in replacement product releases, ie, the tail of one leads into the head of another. But for reasons beyond my comprehension, that has not happened with this device faimly. Out of respect for Peter I will stop there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant

Well said!

*claps*

YARR!
}:^)~
Capt'n Nokia

If a Maemo 5 device would have a 4 inch display, the application would actually have more real estate than before (except if it would run only in full view mode) because we don't have that task bar on the left. If a Maemo 5 device would have a slightly smaller display, then the amount of display available to the application would be actually more or less the same.
Alas, this explanation does not address two very common uses for the current N8x0 tablets:

1. Reading books (with FBReader)
2. Watching movies

Both activities are already done in full screen mode most of the time. Making screen physically smaller severely limits them. By the way, most people browse the web in full screen mode too, so making screen smaller will either make them squint or increase fonts and scroll.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Perfect! ...well, almost.

I find my N810 most valuable when I travel - for the media player, web, e-mail, notetaking, reference docs, and GPS. But I recently tried walking around a foreign city with the N810, mobile phone, and camera in my pockets. It was just too much kit. I concluded my next phone would have to provide all these functions in one box.

And if it is a phone and thus always with me, it must be smaller than the current Maemo devices. I don't really want a smaller screen, but I can't see any way around it given the overall size. Anyway, the N810's screen is already too small for me to see an 80 column terminal font. I'll be satisfied if Fremantle brings good kinetic scrolling and continuous zooming.

The keyboard is what could be really bad. The current <Fn> + top row for numbers is incredibly awkward. Here it looks like it'll be even more difficult to find the ever-more-necessary special keys by touch.

Then there's the matter of T-Mobile...somewhat less of a presence in my area than AT&T and Verizon. I do hope there will be an unlocked version available.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think most of us can agree that The General doesn't like to speculate too far from the Nokia tree. And let's say that for a non-Nokia employee that he's as likely as any to catch wind of something. Now, take his quote below and add it to what ex-Nokian Texrat has alluded to. I would guess there's another 2009 Nokia device that might be more to this community's liking.
Well, let's analyze the statement:

"That way, you could pick the device that suits you (say, the lower-end $250 tablet without 3G, accelerometers, FM RX/TX, GPS, or a hardware keyboard etc.) and somebody else could pick the device that suits them ($600, all the fixin's, hardware keyboard, etc.) and you're both happy without having to deal with the modularity compromise (which is a big one to swallow on mobile devices)."

Since the specs we have have the hardware keyboard, accelermoter, 3G, and GPS, that implies it is the HIGHER end device. Would it make sense for the higher end device to have a smaller screen and the lower end device to have a bigger screen?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
DAMN ... I hate those leaks

@Textrat: I'm pretty sure that you are somehow pissed off that you do not work within Nokia anymore but that is no reason to reveal any specs or information either if it is new or old. This is really a slap in the face for all those other guys which are still working on these products and those guys are probably not responsible for your current Job situation.

To be honest, I really hope that someone( even it is TMO ) gets sued for this leak.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA

In other words, f*ck everyone who likes the old tablets. I gotcha.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Alas, this explanation does not address two very common uses for the current N8x0 tablets:

1. Reading books (with FBReader)
2. Watching movies

Both activities are already done in full screen mode most of the time. Making screen physically smaller severely limits them. By the way, most people browse the web in full screen mode too, so making screen smaller will either make them squint or increase fonts and scroll.
Fair statement. The industrial design needs to be such that it supports the main use cases. If reading books would be the main use case, I don't think 4 inch is the ideal resolution either. What display size makes sense for watching movies is still undecided. Obviously, there are many Nseries multimedia computers out there with video play functionality that would dream only of a screen size between 3 and 4 inch. Most of them selling rather nicely such as the great N95 which I still call my own. My TV is a 32 inch flat screen. Fine for me. What we have confirmed is that we will support WVGA resolution. What display size a device will have depends on the product concept (and no, we have not announced any product with Maemo 5).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile