Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
Usecases: Browsing, IM (Pidgin), Media (Mediastreamer, Canola, mplayer, build in mediaplayer app), Reading (fbreader, evince), feeds (feed circuit) - tasks (I think) 95% of the users are doing, correct me if I'm wrong there
If you'd ask me, these are all apps that hugely benefit from the bigger screen the N800 offers compared to 3,5''
So screensize would be a step back in *my* usecases
You're forgetting one of the biggest use cases of all - cellular voice. Once the decision was made to include cellular voice (whether due to the Pre or otherwise), the 3.5" screen makes sense. How many GSM phones have displays larger than 3.5? - very few.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
When you have seen the Maemo 5 lead device, ...
Peter, are you saying that this leak is not of the "Maemo 5 lead device" and, therefore, that there may be a 4"+-screen Maemo 5 Tablet that will be the "lead device"?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Peter, are you saying that this leak is not of the "Maemo 5 lead device" and, therefore, that there may be a 4"+-screen Maemo 5 Tablet that will be the "lead device"?
Highly unlikely.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Peter already said he can't say. And, we already know that there are plans for non-Nokia Maemo devices. The real question is: Can we wait?

Tim

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You can gauge just how crucial a new device is to this community by the number of people reading...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You can gauge just how crucial a new device is to this community by the number of people reading...
Nokia has reunited the whole Maemo community by really, really pissing all of us off

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
IIRC RX-71 may well be that top-secret device. Details were locked down tighter than Nokia's support for Ovi.
Arrr... Would that be the Sparrow then?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
And you can gauge the passion of this community by the number of "tags of passion" in the thread that have had to be deleted by moderators.

Last edited by mullf; 2009-05-25 at 19:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hey, I remember that rumor.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Actually, it's thanks to Nokia and the Maemo SW team for putting Linux under the hood of these devices.
And another thing, many thanks (if it's true) for getting cellular voice on a Maemo device so soon. I am disappointed that the faster, better, tablet will not be available (at least soon), but this is a welcome surprise. Although I will not buy this device, it will sell in larger volumes (at this point in time at least) than a larger tablet w/o cellular voice...

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile