Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
do you have any suggestions for good alternatives? I'm trying to find something that combines open software with pocketable size and stylus-driven touch screen. I've been looking around, Pepper pad is too big, the OQO is too bulky and expensive, iPhone/touch is too proprietary, Palm's offerings are too limited, the ARCHOS are too proprietary, netbooks and UMPCs are usually either too large and or expensive. Surely there is something out there!? The Pandora console seems the best compromise I've found, but even at that it's not really want I want... gah.
it's really difficult. we're spoiled by the NITs.... form factor, battery life (above all!), ... the pandora isn't for me. i wouldn't get used to its game-design. the one thing i never did on a tablet was play any sort of game, so the pure presence of game controls would be somewhat annoying for me.

it'll probably have to be something like OQO... I could live with the size and weight, the N810 was the lower limit anyway. OTOH:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5210804/rumor-h...for-this-world

so....

but that's the form factor i'm looking for, preferrably without a hard disc, though, and with good GNU/linux support. Maybe finally the Atom MID market will get alive (although I wonder why it should after being dead for so long) and we'll get something from there.

In case everything else fails, a very small netbook would be the only way out of this crisis.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
it'll probably have to be something like OQO... I could live with the size and weight, the N810 was the lower limit anyway.
I've considered the OQO in the past, it has pretty much exactly the feature-set I'd like, but the main problem I have with it is that it's really too large to fit in a pocket (well at least my pockets, it's rather thick...), and I've got a feeling it runs rather hot. Other issue is battery life is not too good compared to the N810, only 3.5 hours according to their specs, and though the battery is user-removable it's really too bulky for it to be practical to carry around spares all the time. Well maybe if you had a bag, but I like the tiny BP-4L batteries, I can always have at least 2 or 3 spares with me in my pocket.

Other than that though the feature-set is king for the size of device, too bad it also comes with a king-sized price, $1,600 to $2,500 depending on options, at least where I've seen it. Too much for CyberCat I'm afraid...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I've considered the OQO in the past, it has pretty much exactly the feature-set I'd like, but the main problem I have with it is that it's really too large to fit in a pocket (well at least my pockets, it's rather thick...),
I'm not looking for a device to put in my pocket. That's what I have a phone for. (And no, the N900 won't be my new phone: it's too large for that.) - I'd put it where I had my N810: on the table at home or in my bag when I travel.

Other than that though the feature-set is king for the size of device, too bad it also comes with a king-sized price, $1,600 to $2,500 depending on options, at least where I've seen it. Too much for CyberCat I'm afraid...
If I find a device that really does what I want, I'll pay for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
OQO is a really beautiful piece of hardware. But when you try to cram all the HW specs you can come up with into one small package, you currently end up with a apprx. 1000 dollar piece that isn't particularly portable or elegant. Think Sony Vaio for a bulkier example. It's a really "nasty" (although I think of it as a really interesting) tradeoff between size, performance and price. A bit like speed, quality and price in SW development: you can have two of them, but not all of them.

Now, hardware is developing all the time. In a few years hardware specs that many have mentioned here become reality in reasonable prices. Minituarization isn't cheap, and it takes some time, that's why they'll always be a couple of years behind the non-minituarized versions. I think the real issue is that they will always be "slower". Trying to run what people run on their "fast" computers as such on "slow" computers - it's all relative - will make it feel slow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
If I find a device that really does what I want, I'll pay for it.
I completely agree, just that little matter of finding it first.

I'm not too worried though, the interest in these types of devices seems to have really picked up from when I got my IT, so I've got a feeling finding a good successor will not prove to be too difficult.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
you don't do such things on phones, anyway, stylus or not.
Says who? Games on phones, esp. on the iPhone and Android, are getting pretty sophisticated. Why wouldn't people play similar games on a Maemo phone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
I guess I better start looking, do you have any suggestions for good alternatives? I'm trying to find something that combines open software with pocketable size and stylus-driven touch screen.
Well, the first batch of new ARM-based netbooks is about to be introduced shortly and it appears that the manufacturers are going to differentiate the ARM-books by aiming at form factors slightly smaller than the average 10-inch(+) netbook. That's not pocketable, but with more OEMs involved I'd be surprised if there wasn't further evolution towards the space between smaller netbooks and the larger "smartphones" with 3.5-inch screen.

At this point it seems rather unfortunate that the more generic "Internet Tablet (Talk)" community has been branded (co-opted?) with the Nokia-lead Maemo label since the future of the compact tablet format appears to lie somewhere outside Nokia's field of vision.

I think many of us already saw scribblings on the wall as time kept passing after the release of Maemo 4 (year and a half ago) with very little further progress, and later when Maemo 5 was confirmed not to support the existing Internet Tablets...

Maybe it's time for Nokia to come clean and tell us in unequivocal terms whether there will in fact be another tablet format device in the pipeline or just cut the grumbling masses loose.

Mer with its up-to-date apps (like Tear) looks interesting as the life support system for the existing tablets, but where will its evolution lead (as an open-source offshoot of Nokia's Maemo) if there will be no further tablet form factor devices from Nokia? Will Moblin scale down to 4-5-inch screens and finger/stylus use? What will come of Hildon?

See, I still have no idea where this all is heading...!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Nokia doing exactly the same I've come to hate Palm for: creating yet another iPhone clone.

Why am I not surprised?

This is EXACTLY what happened with Palm; some of the posts here are exact copies of posts that were written in a Palm forum I know.

(I assume you know the story: Palm decided to replace their legacy but useful OS into a trendy but useless "web"OS with Maemo5-sized interface, leaving all Palm power users on the sand)

Fortunately, this is not confirmed, and right now the rumors are mostly clueless (they do not even know the front dot is the ambient light sensor). There's still hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
If it's a capacitive screen with a hardware keyboard, why would you really need a stylus? ...
A stylus is a lot better for drawing that the tip of a finger. I use it a lot. with a capacitive screen, NIT would be useless for me.

I believe Nokia NIT shouldn't compete with iphone, at least not by making the same choices than Apple for the iPhone.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
At this point it seems rather unfortunate that the more generic "Internet Tablet (Talk)" community has been branded (co-opted?) with the Nokia-lead Maemo label since the future of the compact tablet format appears to lie somewhere outside Nokia's field of vision.
Exactly (and elegantly phrased too).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile