Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Hopefully a Maemo 5 based tablet comes out this year. If not, let's not forget Mer and how it will revitalize our excellent 'legacy' hardware. I for one love my N800 ... lack of a modern OS is the limiting factor for it now. The hardware is bang-on and plenty peppy (just look @ liqbase, for instance) ... I personally just need a better OS, plain and simple.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
...How we do the task switching is still not public, but I'll promise that we keep Maemo a multitasking environment and we won't use up valuable real estate on the display.
Applying the same principal to one of the other areas of contention, it may not be public but can it be said if there will be an ergonomic way to enter arrow-key strokes into applications that would be pretty much unusable without them? (Games, X-terminal, emulators, etc.)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You may not want the answer to that.
I disagree. I might not _like_ the answer, but I definitely _want_ the answer.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
More dredging results. This article from April suggests that we might just need to wait a bit longer to get our hearts' desire:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10482...day-nokia.html

Nokia has finally embraced the touchscreen movement.
The Finnish phone titan has plans to introduce three devices that feature big touchscreens and so-called Qwerty keypads, according to industry sources, say analysts.

One of the new models to be rolled out has a 4.2-inch touchscreen and a "hidden slide-out keyboard," and is considered a mobile Internet device or tablet. The device is targeted for introduction in the fourth quarter before Christmas.

In a follow-up post, chlettn points to Nokia World 2009 (September 2-3) as the likely unveiling / announcement date for these devices.
So there will be a 4.2" tablet !

Last edited by Architengi; 2009-05-26 at 22:56.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by anderbr View Post
Terrific! If I live in one of about 12 major metro's I get 3g, otherwise I have to pay for 3-9 months of their awesome EDGE service.
</sarcasm>

I would hope to (and gladly) pay about the same as I did for n810, without having to sign up for any carrier's service, contract or not.
Then you buy it on Flexpay, and cancel it the service immediately. You don't need to buy an unlocked device in order to use it without a SIM, as far as I know. You only need it to be unlocked in order to use it with a different carrier's SIM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I disagree. I might not _like_ the answer, but I definitely _want_ the answer.
A hair split of sorts. By "want" I meant "like" and I figured the context would make it obvious.

Consider this: I want food. I don't like asparagus. If I asked for food, and someone offered asparagus, I don't want it because I don't like it.

Now on to bigger fish!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
So there will be a 4.2" tablet !
And you got that from... where?

EDIT: ok, I see in another post-- it came from thestreet article

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-26 at 22:42.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by qole View Post
More dredging results. This article from April suggests that we might just need to wait a bit longer to get our hearts' desire...
I certainly hope so, but have no idea how reliable "thestreet" or their source is. Also, it says "internet ... tablet" but doesn't say Maemo or linux.

It looks like employees still in Nokia may be letting all kinds of cats out of the bag. May be.

I wonder how many phase 5 customers will install scratchbox or how the software at maemo.org will compare to and appstore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile