Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
This is why the chosen font is important. Again, is the default font optimal for that, or are there free/commercial/pirated fonts which would deliver a better experience?
My point is that at the pixel densities we are talking about (in N8x0, HTC HD, N900), even the font no longer matters. Any text of humanly readable size is going to look pretty smooth on them.

Originally Posted by flareup View Post
i love the influx of people with the doublethink line that a smaller screen is better in all possible ways.

as someone else said, one of the big marketed pluses of the NITs was the nice big screen...
I think the main crux of the counter-point is lost in your oversimplification that a smaller screen is better in all possible ways.

Nobody has argues that line - the main point has been that a smaller screen is "acceptable" as a trade-off for the other gains that the new devices is supposed to have - a better screen (not in terms of size but quality), a better UI to take advantage of the smaller screen (which makes a smaller screen not THAT bad), a better camera, voice capabilities etc.

I haven't seen influx of argumentative line which argues that "a smaller screen is better than the larger 4" screen full stop".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
I agree with nilchak, but I've got to say I am starting to come around to the idea of something with a reasonable screen size (i.e. the 3.5") and being more pocketable, and being programmable.

So yeah, the applications will be more phone-esque, I can't see myself watching feature films or poring over many spreadsheets, but I can think of some cool apps that would use the location + always connected abilities of GSM (and hopefully a better GPS too!)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by fms View Post
My point is that at the pixel densities we are talking about (in N8x0, HTC HD, N900), even the font no longer matters. Any text of humanly readable size is going to look pretty smooth on them.
???

You're using the same fixed width font you use in xterm for your e-book reader on your N8x0 as well?

What if you use a font which is smooth enough you can use a smaller size instead, allowing you to read more text?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by volt View Post
The N series is Nokias line of smartphones. The N770-810 should never have been Ns. They should have been Ts or something. The N900 is a N. It's a phone.
But the 770 was not a N. Yes, I know that I sound like a nitpicker, but I think it is worth noting that 770 was a separate experiment but the N800 was the first N Series Internet Tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I personally have been sick at going through the internet connection sharing ritual between my N810 and my HP Ipaq 514. It takes me a couple of minutes to get online and I have to click around on two devices. So sick that I look at other options.
Volt, I can relate to most of what you've written here, except the above which I find strange.

I have been tethering my tablets through (Nokia) phones ever since 2005 - three tablets, four phones. I never had to click around anywhere - just launch the browser on the tablet, and it takes seconds, not much more than connecting to Wifi. The phone can stay in bag/pocket or a few metres away for better reception...

That's why I never got sick and wasn't looking for options :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
There is no official statement from Nokia 'the tablets' are abandoned, and maemo.org is not owned or tied to Nokia or RX-51 or N900.
It is not in Nokia's interest to proclaim "we are abandoning tablets!!"

It is in Nokia's interest to keep the tablet community hanging on and hoping. Nevertheless, because of the delay, Nokia has effectively abandoned further tablet development. Of course it could always resume that development someday.

maemo.org is not owned by Nokia, but people from maemo.org and Nokia are really throwing their weight around on the forums here, and anyone who doesn't notice that is not awake. And in the process, it is obvious that us "normal users" have been devalued.

It looks to me like Nokia decided, "well, tablets failed. What can we keep of value out of this experiment. Of course! The maemo community!" And this is exactly what Nokia has done, with the complicity of Reggie.

We ordinary tablet users have been sold down the river.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
@geneven

I don't think we know what Nokia has done. All we know at this point is people on this forum are experts at filling in the blanks. Seems like it's a forum of detectives instead of gadget lovers. All we have/know at this point is a leaked picture of a potential Nokia maemo device. It could be 1 device or one in a family of devices. Could be a prototype device for all we know.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It is not in Nokia's interest to proclaim "we are abandoning tablets!!"

It is in Nokia's interest to keep the tablet community hanging on and hoping. Nevertheless, because of the delay, Nokia has effectively abandoned further tablet development. Of course it could always resume that development someday.
Why is that in Nokia's best interest? I see a lot of FUD and speculation being created instead while Nokians are not allowed to show off every development of new software and hardware. So they read things here, know better, but are not allowed to correct false information with accurate information. Imagine how that feels.

You say it is in their best interest, but I see negative sides on this so-called best interest. Maybe it is the least evil option for them, and maybe you're right that this is what Nokia opted for, but its certainly not something inherently positive and smart if the case you say is correct.

maemo.org is not owned by Nokia, but people from maemo.org and Nokia are really throwing their weight around on the forums here, and anyone who doesn't notice that is not awake. And in the process, it is obvious that us "normal users" have been devalued.
Maemo.org is not owned by Nokia precisely for this conflict of interest you state. Anyone is free to develop their own hardware running Maemo, or porting Maemo to existing hardware. Anyone is free porting software based upon Maemo, such as Mer, to old Nokia hardware like Nokia 770, Nokia N800, and Nokia N810(WME).

It looks to me like Nokia decided, "well, tablets failed. What can we keep of value out of this experiment. Of course! The maemo community!" And this is exactly what Nokia has done, with the complicity of Reggie.
Maybe they are changing the device very much indeed. Maybe they release several devices. Maybe this leak is totally ********. We don't know. We don't have official confirmation.

Besides that the tablet format existed long before Nokia started to work on Maemo or ITOS. Nokia did not invent mobile/embedded Linux with a touchscreen either. Many products did this before, like TrollTech Greenphone and Sharp Zaurus. Tablets existed too in the form of 'Tablet PC' and graphics tablets by wacom. Input devices using touchscreen are also still existing and lots of interesting developments happen in this market.

We ordinary tablet users have been sold down the river.
What did you expect?

You knew about the 5 stages. You knew that eventually Maemo was rather aimed at the mass market. At least, I hope you knew that. I hope you knew that when you bought the device you were buying an experimental product, not an ordinary end user product with a solid production line. I hope you also realize Nokia sells end products (mainly hardware), and more often than not do not update their OS or software anymore for old products/old hardware. Plus they didn't shove us DRM, nor did they have high profit margins like Apple with their products.

Please do note many other corporations which compete with Nokia stop support for product as well. At least not new features are priority; often its reliability and security fixes then. It boils down to TANSTAAFL. You bought a device for a price and you got your cake. Everything you got beyond that was free candy, often open source candy (and some proprietary software, a community platform, ..), but Nokia has no obligation to you to continue its line of experimental products or their support for your device. Or do you think they're breaking some kind of law here?

BTW, we all know Windows XP got a lot of software backported from Windows Vista. There is no legal obligation from Microsoft to do such. Surely though, Windows XP was (and still is) a big, mainline product of them on which they earned a lot of profit.

So if I were in your shoes I'd make sure my hardware was used in its full glory. Be glad open source drivers are developed, for example. Consider to give your hardware away or sell it for nice price to someone who really would use the device. Some Linux kid or Linux developer. Test software, or anything you like, and be glad you're able to put a community supported OS like Mer on your old hardware.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
I think you guys should be very happy that its going mass market because it will mean that there will be accelerated development, more support, quicker updates, more choice of HW, many more applications...
This could also mean that the particular devices will reach their end-of-life sooner.
The N800 is now in its 3rd year and you can still run the latest official Maemo firmware on it. I somehow doubt we'll be able to upgrade our Maemo phones with the latest firmware in their 3rd year.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile