Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by thp View Post
The timeout is currently set to 60 seconds. Do you mean that downloads do not start within 60 seconds or is the timeout happening before that?

The default socket timeout is set to 60 seconds in the "gpodder" module. According to the Python docs, the parameter is specified in seconds, and it worked for me so far.

I just tried subscribing to and downloading one of these podcasts ("The Apple Byte") and it works for me.
It seems as if it's less than 60 seconds--I'll have to pay attention next time and see.. but yeah, CNET sometimes doesn't even START to download for up to 3 minutes. (They HAVE noted complaints about their servers being very busy.) Maybe you were lucky that time. It seems to take a long time even if I'm over someone else's house or in a public wifi--so it's not my own home connection.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
CNET sometimes doesn't even START to download for up to 3 minutes.
Ah, ok. When a download does not do anything within three minutes, I expect the server to be dead. But I can see your issues with that. Maybe a configuration option would be helpful to increase that timeout? The reason for the introduction of the timeout is to make "hung up" downloads fail after a while and not block the download queue forever.

By the way - is anyone else having issues with timeouts? It would be nice to get some feedback if that's the case, because I did not run into any issues for the last two weeks or so of testing the timeout feature in the development version

Update: nikosapi made some progress tracing back the timeout issue. According to him, the timeout of 60 seconds is not the issue, but some other bug related to resuming. We'll keep you posted.

Last edited by thp; 2009-06-02 at 21:17.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You guys are (great)++! Thanks for looking into it!

gPodder 0.16.1, which includes a fix to this issue, has been released today. You will be able to grab it from extras-devel right now or from extras later today. If you have any further questions or issues, just post in here or report them at the bug tracker. Thanks!

I really like the gpodder tool - thanks for all your hard work.

While we are on the subject of the download manager, I've noticed gpodder isn't very robust if the wifi link goes in and out. I noticed this with the previous version and haven't tested it yet with this one. It will abort the download and not automatically retry. It also appends the audio stream to what has already been downloaded, so you get to listen to the starting portion multiple times. This has probably been fixed, but I just thought I'd mention my observations in case this is new info.

Thanks for the great program!

Originally Posted by Eric! View Post
While we are on the subject of the download manager, I've noticed gpodder isn't very robust if the wifi link goes in and out. I noticed this with the previous version and haven't tested it yet with this one.
Yep, we don't do any connectivity detection at the moment, because it's Maemo-specific, and not any standard (e.g. NetworkManager, which works on a multitude of Desktops). This is planned, but help is - as always - welcome and needed. Feature requests: Offline mode and Pause/Resume when going Offline/Online (subscribe to these bugs if you want to be informed about progress).

Originally Posted by Eric! View Post
It will abort the download and not automatically retry. It also appends the audio stream to what has already been downloaded, so you get to listen to the starting portion multiple times.
That has been fixed in 0.16.0 through the new download manager. It now depends on the server's support for resuming. If it supports it, everything works as you would expect. If it does not, gPodder will detect this and start the download from the beginning

I'm using 0.16.0 and ever since I upgraded I've been having issues where I hit the "Update All" button and gPodder starts updating podcasts and then when it's almost done, my tablet reboots. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to happen more often than not.

Is this related to the timeout issue? How can I find out what gPodder is doing right before the reboot?

I'm updating to 0.16.1-1 right now to see if that helps.

Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
ever since I upgraded I've been having issues where I hit the "Update All" button and gPodder starts updating podcasts and then when it's almost done, my tablet reboots.
For diagnose purposes, you can run gPodder in an xterm like this:

Code:
gpodder --maemo --verbose 2>&1 | tee gpodder.log
This will generate a gpodder.log file in the current directory that you can then attach to a bug report.

That said, the current "workaround" for the update reboot problem is to simply update feeds one by one. I am also not totally sure why this happens, it never really reboots for me (but then, I'm only subscribed to some 5 to 7 podcasts).

Does anyone that has swap running notice a crash (system reboot) if you subscribe to alot of podcasts and try to do an update for all of them. Seems to always happen to me. But if I don't turn on swap it won't crash.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
media, podcasts