Active Topics

Youtube has some new video players out, apparently the ones used on their new feature length films and the Star Trek original full length series. When I try to open one of these, I get a message about the operating system not supporting the version of flash. This happens in microb and tear. Hulu complains too, but it's less of an issue since I doubt it would ever play stuff well enough to be watchable

Is there any way to turn off the flash version check? My hunch is that it would probably work fine.

Honestly I'm a little bit ticked off at the lack of flash support on maemo - hasn't been updated in forever and it's embarrassing when someone takes out their iphone and loads up a youtube vid before I can even get to the page.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It's been talked about... and it's a shame that Flash devs tend to put player check code that usually supercedes what they need. For YouTube, they almost could really get away with FP 9.0.0.0 for their stuff, but they require a number higher than what's on the tablets.

We just rolled out a site for BMW and pushed back the requirements to FP 9.0.0.0 when initially I was told to push for 10.0.0.0 - the audience isn't fully there.

To turn it off... good luck. It's their site, thus their code. And as a Flash/Flex dev, it bothers me too that my stuff is sometimes not visible on my own machine - my NIT that is.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I feel your pain. However, I have recently been given a glimmer of hope from (I believe) an Adobe representative...

Originally Posted by jdowdell View Post

@JayOnThaBeat, yes, we've got to beat those versioning differences. The over-the-air updates in Open Screen Project will help. Nokia's a big influence in OSP. Improvements are currently in development.

jd/adobe
The Open Screen Project is supposedly bringing flash to "all devices" (or at least trying to).

Hang in there.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I'm actually curious: if you search for these videos with mytube or inside the canola2 youtube plugin, do they show up and play?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I feel your pain. However, I have recently been given a glimmer of hope from (I believe) an Adobe representative...

The Open Screen Project is supposedly bringing flash to "all devices" (or at least trying to).

Hang in there.....
What I don't understand how exactly this is going to happen. It's not not the version fragmentation that's the problem (for NIT users). There is NO VERSION TO UPDATE TO. It was the same problem with 64bit for several years. Until Adobe (or OSP) manages to really open the platform, it doesn't matter if it's over the air, installer, manual, voodoo or any other way. All modern operating systems (and even some browsers) already have a mechanism for distributing updates. If those were not successful, I just don't see how this new super duper parallel distribution channel is going to solve all problems people were/are having with Flash.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Maybe a Maemo compatible DEB when they release new versions?

It could be as simple as that (probably won't be :-/)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Maybe a Maemo compatible DEB when they release new versions?

It could be as simple as that (probably won't be :-/)
If you're reading between the lines, this is the one thing we won't have. They want a unified, centralized way of updating flash capable devices. They don't care if the target platform originally updates by apt, yum, manual debs, windows update or anything else. For them, these methods (as there are many of them and they don't control them) are a hindrance.