Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
In the blitz about the new Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, one thing that seems to be underplayed in my opinion is Nokia-Skype collaboration to "develop a new mobile experience." With the N800, Skype frees itself from desktops and laptops. Now Skype is mobile, like any cellphone. With Skype, the Internet Tablet acquires real phone capabilities, able to connect not just to millions of Skype users' computers but to any phone. But beyond that, you have video with your conversation. And not at the sky-high cellular carrier prices but at the opposite end of the price spectrum where VoIP and Linux and the internet in general are camped. See, for instance, Festoon, where there are Skype and Google Talk video plugins. Up to 8 callers with cameras can participate in a Skype video conference with Festoon without bankrupting themselves. Who knows? I expect Nokia-Skype will have its own video plugin by the time the collaboration comes to fruition in six months, don't you? With all the software comfortably built-in, of course. So the N800's webcam and WiFi and mobility make Skype limitless. And Skype makes the N800 a true two-way communication device, where the walkaround web meets the talk-all-day crowd. What a combo!
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I'd rather have a good email client.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'd rather have a good SIP-Client.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'd rather have a good SIP-Client.
Agree with that... many of my friends use Skype but now they also have IP hardware phones based on SIP. Hopefully the new Gizmo client on N800 is good SIP client?

Not to say that Skype is a bad idea, but SIP should be put into #1 priority.

People with the N800 over here in France report that the Gizmo client on the N800 is not the same as on the 770. The secondary account now works, and they can use it for SIP calls using the accounts that come with their ADSL lines, which was impossible before.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
did anyone ever try http://www.minisip.org/ it looks like they used to have packages for the 770. does anyone know what happened?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
People with the N800 over here in France report that the Gizmo client on the N800 is not the same as on the 770. The secondary account now works, and they can use it for SIP calls using the accounts that come with their ADSL lines, which was impossible before.
This is good news.
The best solution, though, would be to have SIP integrated in the IM/Contacts/GTalk-Framework in the long run.

i'm also looking forward to a SIP client and wondering about what happened to minisip..

is there an IAX client for the 770?

no thanks to running gizmo just to get SIP. nor would i consider the n800 until nokia revises stance on legacy support and open source.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Finland
Just to let you all know - the n880 Gizmo client is available at their webpage and it works perfectly also on my old n770 - also the secondary account with our company Asterisk server !!!

Great news, thanks for the hint!