Notices

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
for get strarted to make my Borg theme inspired by LCARS from Ryge brothers, i can tell and confirm itys not easy to make a good theme properly work...but its possible.

and honnestly, thememaker is good for ''basic'' fork theme but for ''more complete'' theme, the best way its to get the how to on the http://synthesize.us/Maemo_themes/Modification_HOWTO

that the better weay i find it to make a complete theme for OS2008 and after 3 mouths of intense work,try, test, debug...and a lot of learning(i never work on linux before so i learn a lot in the process) i finaly launch my alpha version of my Borg theme and put it in the extra and maemo.org download page 2 day ago....

so yes all is possible if you wanna learn and work a precious times....and of course, a lot peoples in the community be very gentle to help me whit this humbly little project.

i encourage everyone to try it to fork a theme and of course...i enjoy you to test my new borg one too

best regards

a complete noob 3 mouths ago finaly make a borg one lol
+ iam a french guy and all info and stuff about theme is usualy in english....double challenge for me but now i thnik my theme is really not bad

some bug to fix it before laucnh a real stable beta version soon

you favorite french nooby guy

eric king
labaudio
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LABAUDIO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Labaudio !
No, it's me the french noob !

You are just a copycat ... ahhh ... oh, sorry the mothership just told me you were assimilated even before me ... oh, sorry my fellow borg !

I-feel-inadequate ...

Congrats for your theme, i will try it right now !

PS : Did you see Seven-Of-Nine ?
She owes me a tube of vaseline oil ...

As graphic/web design is my hobby and soon career, I love designing stuff so expect a buncha Maemo themes! First one I want to work on is STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl theme (a couple probably, based off the in-game PDA and the menu), so if you're a fan

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
you can download and alter the massive PSD (Photoshop) file that contains all of the tablet theme art.
The NuvoPearl template which comes with ThemeMaker is a PSD, but you can use any graphics program to make themes. You just have to save the template as a PNG when you're ready to slice it. All my theme templates are Inkscape SVGs, and so is Plankton's. (ThemeMaker only includes a PNG version of the Plankton template for some reason, but the SVG is available in the source package.)

I'd highly recommend Inkscape over Photoshop; vector graphics offer a lot of advantages for this type of work. Plus, Inkscape is freely available for Linux/Mac/Windows, and it's really easy to learn.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
you've got to learn how to use the ThemeMaker application in order to convert the theme into an installable package. Of course, then there's the process of uploading it to Extras, etc.
Actually I think ThemeMaker just produces a theme .deb with no source package, which means ThemeMaker themes can't be uploaded to the extras repository. The method described in our HOWTO does produce source packages. It includes instructions for downloading our theme sources, but of course you could use another theme (e.g. Plankton) as your starting point if you want.

Last edited by ian_ryge; 2009-06-01 at 01:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ian_ryge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL TIPS
They are warmly welcome.

I tried Theme maker, it's easy to use, but to make a complete theme from scratch would be a Titan work ! For now, i just stick to modifing Nuvo Pearl ...

One thing among all I would love to do is to find a way to make the background of GPE Summary completely transparent, and have white text for the appointments/todos. Anybody knows how to make that ?

Is it possible (an legal) to get the PNG from stock themes that comes with the OS ? I like very much the default Echo and would like to use is as a base.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Is it possible (an legal) to get the PNG from stock themes that comes with the OS ? I like very much the default Echo and would like to use is as a base.
If you just take echo for inspiration is good in my head

you can go /usr/share/themes/echo/*.png and copy/paste this on the template mannualy

after that...create new layer...and be inspired

cheers
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
You can check out my theme hackers garage project as well. https://garage.maemo.org/projects/themehackers/ it has several of my themes on there some are not finished but they all work. Also you can upload thememaker themes to repository they just have to be non-free I believe

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post: