Poll: n800 with 770 design?
Poll Options
n800 with 770 design?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I am pleased with the N800 apart from the minor issue of the up/down cursor buttons not giving enough feedback (popping). Is it only me so fussy about this?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
N800 seems like a better design, except for the top side buttons. And the fact that it's wider for no apparent reason.

Overall, I would have still liked for them to have improved the d-pad to a usable level and added full shoulder buttons on the device (even just by positioning the + and - buttons further apart). Oh well...

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Toronto
haha i see a lot of people have taken to the design~

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
With its perforated silver faceplate, the N800 design seems to consciously look back to the jet-age style of 20th century transistor radios. For a contemporary device, that's an odd choice by Nokia. I wonder how it'll do at market: it's neither as "futuristic" as the Apple phone nor as completely utilitarian as most PDAs. Really, it's almost like something Spock cobbled together in "The City on the Edge of Forever." ;-)

For my .02, anyway, it's an elegant and striking device, something I can't say about much technology.

I have an n800 but I have spent a little time at CompUSA using the 770. After reading the feedback on the n800 I was very concerned I had made a great mistake buying it instead of the 770 -- until I received it in the mail.

I love the style of the n800. Its comfortable to hold and the screen is great. I really can't say it looks cheap at all and it feels very solid. And it works very well.

Like many others, I'm a little concerned about the screen protection. Maybe Nokia or someone else will wow us with an accessory screen cover that works as well or better than the 770. Is it a big deal to me? Not at all.

the n800 design could be improved if the front plastic was all black and the stylus chrome was de-pimped.

the utilitarian look of the 770 was smart positioning. it excited the right audience.

the n800 reminds me a little of the pseudo-sexy yet totally boring ipod knock-offs from asian manufacturers, or maybe a portable dvd player that you rent at the airport, i.e. low-brow high-tech aesthetics. maybe nokia intends this. it's a bigger market. think paris hilton and her shiny sidekick.

on the positive side, the curved profile of the n800 makes sense from a form/function standpoint, the kickstand also makes sense, and the ui is improved (but Konttori's NuvoTheme is better).

I prefer the N800 design over the 770 in almost every way: looks, weight, surface finish, tactile feel.

However, the top side buttons on the N800 could have been improved. I worry about the power button being so small and maybe having problems over time. I also preferred the rocker +/- buttons on the 770.

As far as future improvements, I would like to see some buttons on the right side of the display -- seems to be room. These buttons should be user configurable, and could for example, be used to launch frequent applications.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mieses View Post
the n800 design could be improved if the front plastic was all black and the stylus chrome was de-pimped.
WHAT front plastic?

Overall design is better, giving an appeal look instead of so 2000. Again most people are disappointed about the flip cover case. Speaker design are better, but not the zoom buttons, a worse layout from previous. I didn't get the 770 for long, but it appear my N800 already have some mark from the stytus when turnoff. So, it appear the screen doesn't have any protective layer, and easy to get scratch from stylus. Although the bump at stylus/webcam give a better grip, but not really. I think they should have include something like a jog-dial/wheel like button for scrolling, and a hardward switches to turn off BT/Wifi.