Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Keep in mind there's still work going on to be able to push community updates to Diablo. When someone picks up the task of maintaining a variant of Diablo, I bet 3d driver would be within reach easily. Also, this 3d driver would obviously not be Mer-only.
I appreciate your honesty as well. But until that's more concrete, my faith is just... broken.

Who wants a 770 and N810 before I send it back to Nokia... sawed in half?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Diablo is already finished with, and Chinook more so. If I'm understanding Quim correctly, what he's saying is that the timing was right for this to be released to the Mer project, since 3D in Mer as a "Fremantle Community Edition" (emphasis) adds value to the older products (N8x0) in light of the new release, as opposed to just releasing the driver independently because people wanted it. Correct me if I'm wrong, Quim
I -think- what he's saying is basically that the climate has changed now - previously there was huge business value in 3d drivers for OMAP2. Hence, they weren't that easily made open source because, well, TI and co probably wanted to make money by giving companies access for a price to those drivers (makes sense from business point of view)

Times have changed - OMAP3 and OMAP4(?) are now the flagship chipsets - there's no direct business model in demanding money for access to OMAP2 3d chipset.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I appreciate your honesty as well. But until that's more concrete, my faith is just... broken.

If you're /actually/ serious, I'd take them off your hands

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland

Instead of sawing perfectly fine equipment in pieces, consider the possibility of sending them to one or two other community members.

Put up a thread where you outline what you'd like to see the donation aiding development within and let people bid in?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Keep in mind there's still work going on to be able to push community updates to Diablo. When someone picks up the task of maintaining a variant of Diablo, I bet 3d driver would be within reach easily. Also, this 3d driver would obviously not be Mer-only.
Thanks for pointing that out, Stskeeps. I had forgotten about that, but honestly, as much as that would be nice, I think Mer is the future of the N770/8x0.

Instead of sawing perfectly fine equipment in pieces, consider the possibility of sending them to one or two other community members.

Put up a thread where you outline what you'd like to see the donation aiding development within and let people bid in?
For what I want - continued support - it just doesn't seem like it will happen.

The magic you all are doing with Mer is amazing; but it's not where I need it to be as of yet (read: I'm impatient sometimes).

I can donate my 770 easily - the N810, I'm still using somewhat; however at times like this, Nokia seems to be laughing at me for being stupid enough to buy two of these things from them and they drop support soon thereafter.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
If this is the case, for 2 years they held back their own hardware for really no reason - sorry, but crippling your own machine makes zero business sense - only to half-*** release an update that did not update a browser or most parts of the OS in a major way other than to...
Hey, "the old Palm" made a fortune off these practices The current situation (aka this thread) is a thousand times better.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
To have a part of an included piece of hardware closed off and never utilized is nigh-inexcusable and brings forth a bit of rage from me honestly.

If this is the case, for 2 years they held back their own hardware for really no reason - sorry, but crippling your own machine makes zero business sense
gerbick, thanks for trying to give business lessons to Nokia, TI and other partners involved in the hardware and software discussed in this thread. Still, there are a couple of details you should consider.

- The hardware for graphics acceleration is there as part of a pack. It's not that Nokia puts it on purpose only to decide that will not be used. It doesn't make business sense to to remove that piece of hardware from the configuration.

- Nokia would need to pay for those drivers if they would be shipped as part of the product. It doesn't make business sense to do so when such drivers are not used by the OS and when assuring their commercial quality would add more cost.

- Nokia doesn't own the drivers. It's not Nokia the company that is doing the nice move to provide in a way or another those drivers now to the community. It's TI and the partners involved that have the IPR and the resources to do the move.

If you want to complain about Fremantle not being compatible with OMAP2 devices that's fine, but this is not related to this thread and there are already others where this topic has been discussed.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I don't understand all this complaining now...
It made sense some time ago, when n8x0s were something new and not everybody knew about the omap2 resolution limit...
Nokia wanted a piece of hardware that was enough small to be almost pocketable and yet with a resolution and a screen size that could make the web experience as good as possible for the user... and I think Nokia hit just right with the NITs.
The Omap2 was pretty much bleeding edge for the time being, unfortunately its limits regarding the 640x480 max resolution pushed Nokia to use a serial LCD (a quite good one too) that gave users 160 more columns but deprived them of native 3D HW acceleration...
Now, after two years, we see the possibility of a new feature being pushed into our beloved devices thanks to Nokia commitment and the efforts of the community... I can't be anything else than grateful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Thanks for working to make this happen. I think lardman and serge are going to need to be supplied with a continuous supply of expressos and danishes or beer once these become available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post: