I have seen how many people are complaining about the processing speed of the N810, so I came up with an idea that may be completely stupid, but just might work. I was thinking that it could be possible to take out the TI OMAP2420 processor and put in a faster one in its place.
Some possible problems could be that the new processor would not work with the OS or the software out there or it might not even work with the N810. I just wanted to know if this is a possible solution to the speed problem and help some things like the internet browser, or is it just way to much trouble for something that wouldn't do much.

Way too much trouble to unsolder and then resolder a new one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
That's pretty much unobtainable for a couple of reasons.

The OMAP2 parts are BGA (ball grid array). Unsoldering and soldering a different part in takes some pretty specialized equipment.

If you could overcome this problem, then you would need a pin compatible part. Veiwing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP shows this isn't something available from TI at this point in time.

Frank

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
That's pretty much unobtainable for a couple of reasons.

The OMAP2 parts are BGA (ball grid array). Unsoldering and soldering a different part in takes some pretty specialized equipment.

If you could overcome this problem, then you would need a pin compatible part. Veiwing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP shows this isn't something available from TI at this point in time.

Frank
That totally sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Yeah, you'd have to more or less re-engineer a whole new n810 in order to do what you want to do, and if you did, you'd just end up with a unicated version of the next tablet anyways, so why bother? Just enjoy the n810 the way it is, and when the next one comes around, upgrade.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Could we at least add ram to it?

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
We should start our own openInternetTablet device like the pandora guys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
We should start our own openInternetTablet device like the pandora guys.
Go for it.

Tim

Actually, if the next "nokia Internet Tablet" ends up ONLY being able to be purchased as a phone, I would like to see someone make an alternative version that isn't a phone. Nokia's pretty much pandering to get into the Iphone market.

The Following User Says Thank You to ishida336 For This Useful Post:
Yeah these are extremely embedded devices so you don't expect any kind of upgradeability, you just have to be grateful for what we do have:

* full-size sd => mini-sd adapter or full-size sd => micro-sd => mini-sd adapters.
* USB OTG cables
* DIY accelerometer
* 3rd party usb chargers

not to mention all the amazing software "hacks"

The openpandora project can certainly be looked at as the next internet tablet. It has an OMAP3 processor, graphics that support opengl 2 and more. Personally the only issue I have with it is that it's a clamshell form factor and the screen isn't rotate-able : which makes it hard to use while walking plus no portrait mode. Of course it runs Linux and even a custom window manager ala Maemo's hildon.

I've had similar thoughts with my NAS but anything with an ARM architecture (and keep in mind pretty much all ARM processors are different so no compatibility) everything has to be compiled against that particular processor.

Hopefully Nokia doesn't disappoint with the N810s successor (the N97s specs make me optimistic).

Tags
faster, n810, processor