Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The main difference is that Intel sell chips, not devices - ie in a moblin vs maemo comparison they are are more analogous to ARM and TI than Nokia. Moblin is important to them because every vendor who stuck Linux on a netbook or MID in the last 2-3 years made a complete hash of it, but they don't care about things like UI "differentiation" and such.
Sorry, I still don't buy into this OEM vs. Consumer differentiation as a justifiable reason for the lack of openness in the "bug fixing" process - once a bug is reported by either an OEM or consumer, what is to stop free and open discussion? Intel achieve it, yet Nokia just don't want to communicate publicly. At all. Period. Maemo Bugzilla is a black hole.

But we can agree to disagree - let's allow Nokia to continue to trot out their "consumer device" excuse while making the most of open source code when at the same time making a complete hash of the supposedly open development process which will only serve to alienate the community they so desperately need if this product/project is going to succeed in the long term, which is by no means certain.

Intel and others will continue to show how commercial open source development can be done right, and will gain a much larger and devoted community as a result.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Ah... questions related to Nokia / community interaction.

Never mind then.
I had a technical question regarding voice recognition. With smart phones allowing people to do more and more tasks away from their desktop, more people will eventually be doing these things at inappropriate times. While driving for instance.

Many local governments are moving toward enacting laws prohibiting manual text entry while driving. It seems to me robust VR built into the OS of a mobile device will be the next big thing.

Where does VR fit into the Maemo road map?
How could the community help promote VR's value?

(See how I did that^ )

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think I will ask something along the lines of, "Would Nokia consider giving end-of-life versions of Maemo to the community to maintain? Or does Nokia expect the community to exclusively use parallel versions of Maemo, like Mer, if they wish to take control after Nokia ends support?"
Thanks, just make it clear that this is not a request for opening up any components that are not already open, but for enabling the community to publish its own unofficial updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Thanks, just make it clear that this is not a request for opening up any components that are not already open, but for enabling the community to publish its own unofficial updates.
We already have that deal with Mer -and- for community editions of Diablo etc. Nokia has no problem distributing Nokia-closed software to Nokia tablets (qgil posted this somewhere). It's just a tough task to set up, get all stakeholders involved, etc. Heck, we're still in progress with Mer to do this.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
"Would Nokia consider giving end-of-life versions of Maemo to the community to maintain? Or does Nokia expect the community to exclusively use parallel versions of Maemo, like Mer, if they wish to take control after Nokia ends support?"
As Stskeeps says, Nokia have expressed interest in allowing us to do this at a management level; and have explained the technical approach we'd take:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/018816.html

Basically, the plan is as follows - and anyone in the community can help with this:
  1. Community: develop "opt-in" package which promotes a "community-updates" component in Extras to SSU-status when installed.
  2. maemo.org: add "community-updates" component to Extras.
  3. Community: build new hildon-application-manager and osso-software-version-rx* packages. Upload to community-updates.
  4. Community: install opt-in package and test upgrades.
  5. Nokia: ship final SSU which includes the opt-in package, giving all users the community updates without having to opt-in.

Given this concrete plan has evolved over the past few weeks, this is now in a position to be actually enacted. I'd like to see some extra volunteers on this (promotion, packaging, testing) rather than "the usual suspects": this is a perfect opportunity to get involved at a high-level in the Maemo community quickly, without lots of technical skill necessary.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'd like to see some extra volunteers on this (promotion, packaging, testing) rather than "the usual suspects": this is a perfect opportunity to get involved at a high-level in the Maemo community quickly, without lots of technical skill necessary.
If I may, I'd like to be involved. I have built versions of h-a-m using community patches before and I have packaged a clone of Nokia's "maemo-extras-domain" package for Mer (extras-repository) when it was thought that adding Extras would be a good thing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Basically, the plan is as follows - and anyone in the community can help with this:
Step 5 isn't an absolute requirement, but one thing that is necessary is an official "there will be no more Diablo SSUs" statement from Nokia. Imagine the mess if the community goes ahead with the plan, publishes a few updates and a few weeks down the line there is another Nokia SSU.

Given this concrete plan has evolved over the past few weeks, this is now in a position to be actually enacted. I'd like to see some extra volunteers on this (promotion, packaging, testing) rather than "the usual suspects"
Hey, I'm up for it! (But this is becoming off-topic here, perhaps we could take it to another thread?)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My question: "The community is in desperate desire for some sort of development/release roadmap for Maemo hardware and software. We understand that Nokia cannot be completely forthcoming due to competitive needs, but can't at least some degree of rough guidance be provided?"

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks Texrat, both for your question and for bumping this thread. Only a couple more weeks before the deadline. I'm going to send my rough set of questions to Ari in early September...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hey, I owe you for jogging me toward including the hottest topic for my proposed presentation.

Tags
community, input, interview, jaaksi, summit