Active Topics

Hi guys,

I've just had a couple of VERY frustrating days trying to work out how to drive MER with absolutely no success.

I have tried to do a number of things and had crashes (simple things like rotate the screen, change a theme).

I have tried to add some repositories to try and get some applications that might actually be useful and failed miserably (how the hell do you close the add repository screen to get back to the application installer?).

I see mention of "red-pill mode" but have no idea how to enable it (atleast in mer).

I know this is early software, but seriously, if you want people to help test/develop it.. give us a clue how to install some software we might actually want to use??

Not meant to be a hammer thrown here, just not much I can do to help at the moment, nothing I need is available.

Peter.

The Following User Says Thank You to pnunn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentation
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentation/Installation

There's a lot already documented, i'm also interested what version of Mer did you install. 0.14 has the "x" button to close dialogs (and the "Esc" hardware button should work well anyway [the back button on n8x0])

Screen rotation isnot working yet, because Xorg dirver doesn't support it. (FIXED IN: 0.15)

Theme changing bug will be fixed in 0.15 too. Note that you can't use Maemo themes in Mer.

Red Pill mode can be enabled same way it's done in Maemo. (And that is also Documented in Maemo wiki) but why'd you need to use it? apt-get install <package> works well for ubuntu stuff. Maemo Software is not fully compatible with Mer, even though some applications may work well.

Maemo application cannot be "just put in Mer repo" because they need to be built in OpenSUSE Build Service and Maemo application sources are full of Scratchbox surprises (See: http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Build for the build info)

Once Maemo application is modified to support Mer, it will appear in the Application Manager (When, is of course depending on the developer of each app, or Mer developer who wants to have that app)

EDIT: i should stop talking about things i have no idea about.

Last edited by meizirkki; 2009-07-18 at 16:49.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Maemo application cannot be "just put in Mer repo" because they need to be built in OpenSUSE Build Service
I'm not completely comfortable with that.
What if novell pulls the plug?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Maemo application cannot be "just put in Mer repo" because they need to be built in OpenSUSE Build Service and Maemo application sources are full of Scratchbox surprises (See: http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Build for the build info)

Once Maemo application is modified to support Mer, it will appear in the Application Manager (When, is of course depending on the developer of each app, or Mer developer who wants to have that app)
Please confirm this for me. So no closed-source Diablo apps will run on Mer (without vendor's involvement)?

Originally Posted by luca View Post
I'm not completely comfortable with that.
What if novell pulls the plug?
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/002344.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Please confirm this for me. So no closed-source Diablo apps will run on Mer (without vendor's involvement)?
No, not true. I said already we're nicely ABI compatible.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, not true. I said already we're nicely ABI compatible.
I recall previous postings. This is what now confuse(s) me:
"Once Maemo application is modified to support Mer..."

How do you or I modify a closed source Diablo app?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland

I'm sorry, i should have shut my big mouth earlier. Don't care what i said, trust Stskeeps.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland

Right. Short checklist if a Maemo application compiles on Mer:

1. Does the Maemo application use any APIs that were deprecated in Fremantle (Mer is based on open source Fremantle APIs and any code that is using those APIs will build.). If yes, then it won't compile.

2. Does the application assume it's being built on gcc3? If so, it won't compile. We use gcc4, like Fremantle.

3. Does the Maemo application assume that it is being built within Scratchbox. Is there libtool/automake/etc symlinks into /targets/scratchbox or the likes in the source package or tricks needed to build within Scratchbox.

4. Does the Maemo application packaging assume that some packages are magically installed beyond typical build-essential dependancies. Hint: autoconf, libtool, automake is not preinstalled in build environments on a Debian or Ubuntu, if you apt-get install build-essential. If it does, add the missing dependancies to build dependancies.

5. Does it depend on certain versions of autoconf, automake, libtool, etc.

Reasons for binary Maemo application package not to work on Mer:

1. Does the package depend on special Maemo packages names for some dependancies? libsdl is interesting.

2. Does the package rely on /bin/sh being bash or busybox?

3. Does the package depend on closed source Nokia packages? (We can possibly distribute some of those with vendor repositories.)

4. Does the package binaries use deprecated symbols in Hildon etc.

5. Is it a Python application and hardwired to python2.4 or 2.5? Mer uses Python 2.6. We're working with PyMaemo to work out how to do this the best.

6. Does the package assume $USER is /home/user or assume that /home/user exists (it is actually an interesting choice of ours to have /home/whoever and I'm still wondering if it is the right one).

These are all things we hope to be able to check before packages make it into Fremantle extras (not extras-devel, -testing, etc)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-07-18 at 17:05.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Ah, ok, I wasn't aware that you can build packages locally and that the build server can be replicated elsewhere.