Poll: Would you attend Maemo Summit in the USA?
Poll Options
Would you attend Maemo Summit in the USA?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Personally, whether I'd travel would pretty much entirely depend on cost (and so location in the US).

Whether Nokia should pay for the summit to be in the US one year should be a purely numbers based decision based on sales volumes and likely attendee base.

Of course, there's nothing stopping someone who wants a US-based Maemo event to organise a spin-off of the "official" Maemo summit. I'm sure some money could go to that for banners etc. It'd be a US community get together; with the possibility.

Perhaps next year (and this is only the second summit, remember), if it's again Europe based there'll be enough experience & infrastructure to do live feeds to a smaller US-based satellite get together.

However, there'd have to be the interest and, AIUI, the location within the US can cause as many problems for people there as getting to the US for everyone here.
Thanks Jaffa, basically my words. Visa and travel expenses are a problem for many people. Solution: think of an event for those that won't have such problem, mainly US and Canadian folks.

The Maemo Summit is not the only reference of a community gathering we have. Remember the Danish Weekend or LinuxTag'08. Finding the appropriate formula we can have a gathering somewhere in North America, most likely with some budget and help. It's a matter to see how this event would fit in the Harmattan phase.

The important questions are: where, connected to which event (if any) and who volunteers to organize it.

MaemOmaha 2010 anyone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
MaemOmaha 2010 anyone?
Only a 3 hour drive for me.

Tim

Lets hold the summit in New Orleans It is the most "European" city in the US, after all... Everyone would feel more at home. And... I wouldn't need to drive for days to get there Not to mention it has the best convention center in the whole of the US.

But, really, if the Summit was in the US, I'd go.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I am a Canadian 30 year old father of one travelling with my wife and son (who are both American). I have no criminal record in the US or Canada. I don't do drugs or anything illegal, so the car we were travelling in was clean. I'm not on any sort of watch lists and I am always kind and cooperative when dealing with customs.

Despite all that, the border guards decided that I was somehow a threat and that I might be carrying something inside of me and so they forced me into a cavity search, even after I simply said "fine, forget it, we're going back to Canada".

There's no way I'd go to the US for a Maemo Summit in this climate, even though I'm just across the invisible line.

It would be just my luck that you guys would organize a Maemo Summit here in Quebec City (an excellent choice, by the way) right when my job is moving me to Halifax.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-07-28 at 03:39.

Canada sounds like a great choice for a meeting in North America. The only problem I could see for me if I went is that I would have to return home through US Customs.

On a recent outing to Victoria by ferry, the only part that wasn't fun was coming back through US Customs. Canada on the other hand seemed to care enough about your experience that their customs people give you a survey where you can provide comments.

I also haven't figured out how we had to go through US customs on Canadian soil before boarding the ferry and then again on reaching the US. I thought Canada was a separate country.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I am a Canadian 30 year old father of one travelling with my wife and son (who are both American). I have no criminal record in the US or Canada. I don't do drugs or anything illegal, so the car we were travelling in was clean. I'm not on any sort of watch lists and I am always kind and cooperative when dealing with customs.

Despite all that, the border guards decided that I was somehow a threat and that I might be carrying something inside of me and so they forced me into a cavity search, even after I simply said "fine, forget it, we're going back to Canada".

There's no way I'd go to the US for a Maemo Summit in this climate, even though I'm just across the invisible line.

It would be just my luck that you guys would organize a Maemo Summit here in Quebec City (an excellent choice, by the way) right when my job is moving me to Halifax.

Did you add your vote to the Canada poll?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Canada sounds like a great choice for a meeting in North America. The only problem I could see for me if I went is that I would have to return home through US Customs.

On a recent outing to Victoria by ferry, the only part that wasn't fun was coming back through US Customs. Canada on the other hand seemed to care enough about your experience that their customs people give you a survey where you can provide comments.

I also haven't figured out how we had to go through US customs on Canadian soil before boarding the ferry and then again on reaching the US. I thought Canada was a separate country.
I am sure you would be equally hassled coming back from Amsterdam, if not worse.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
@ zerojay - your story is unfortunate. I feel for you. I am an American Citizen, living in Canada for decades, and I get scrutinzed all the time crossing the border - albeit, never with a search of that magnitude.

@mars - it is quite common to clear US Customs in Canada before departing for the States. In fact, i think that is how it is done nowadays. There is a whole whack of US Immigration, Homeland Security, etc at Toronto's Pearson Airport - you clear Customs and associated shenanigans in Canada before you can set foot in the States - truly the land of the 'free'.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Did you add your vote to the Canada poll?
I sure did.