Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by fms View Post
What is your problem with this statement?
Let's see what the official Nokia PR people are saying in a few months.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@sachin: if you think there's anything in iphone's sales numbers, you've gotta stop wasting so much energy in finding faults in it and actually try to learn something from it.

Why does it sell?
Why don't people look for the same solution on their handhelds as their desktop? (hints: the answer to why browser-based solution doesn't work as well on handhelds lie here).
What do people want and why?
Well i personally think most of the online apps where there to get a flashy version of the mobile websites. Yeah they were useful.. but i believe in having a better web browser and more well designed websites than having individual apps to the website. With the mobile hardware becoming more powerful i dont think there is a need to for online apps. But i do agree the accelerometer was a big innovation by apple. Most of the games were fun to play. But again after a while it again became boring after all the different games were almost similar to each other with just a different front.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
And you can make fun of the stupid iPhone apps, but plenty of them are useful and beautifully executed, like the ones that find the movies near you and link them to IMDB reviews. By comparison, very few polished consumer-oriented special-purpose apps have been developed for Maemo over the past four years.
So someone took the igoogle (or other similar) gadget that anyone can use in a webbrowser and made it into an app? I have an n800, but I have a external bluetooth gps receiver, so I can just grab my gps coordinates(from the status bar app) and past them into location on igoogle's movies near me gadget, and viola it shows me movies near my gps location, or I could just use zip code or city if I didn't want to bother with exact location, which I rarely need.

So sure one could "polish up" this procedure, but the question for me would be why. It's a rarity that I would actually use it and need gps data, I would have to make sure I have that external app installed, instead of just using a regular webpage. Also with igoogle I can have a bunch of usefull gadgets on one screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Let's see what the official Nokia PR people are saying in a few months.
Yes, that too =) Given how quickly things change nowadays....

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@pataphysician: because most users would rather pay $0.99 for a program that makes all that into one click, with some nice skin thrown over it.
You can look at it as an opportunity, just accept humanity as it is, or take cheap shots at them, take your short lived satisfaction and see the platform repeat the same failure again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
So someone took the igoogle (or other similar) gadget that anyone can use in a webbrowser and made it into an app? I have an n800, but I have a external bluetooth gps receiver, so I can just grab my gps coordinates(from the status bar app) and past them into location on igoogle's movies near me gadget, and viola it shows me movies near my gps location, or I could just use zip code or city if I didn't want to bother with exact location, which I rarely need.

So sure one could "polish up" this procedure, but the question for me would be why. It's a rarity that I would actually use it and need gps data, I would have to make sure I have that external app installed, instead of just using a regular webpage. Also with igoogle I can have a bunch of usefull gadgets on one screen.
This is why devs aren't usability experts. I'm not taking a jab at you, but it's clear by the success of iPhone Apps that people want beauty and simplicity -- whether or not it makes sense.

Tim

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post

N800 + external Bluetooth GPS isn't the same experience at all. That's two gadgets, two chargers, two batteries to worry about, and if one isn't properly sync'd at that moment, you have to wait.

As it stands, the iPhone apps aren't really all that spectacular to me either. But I'm not going to Fred G. Sanford (Sanford and Son reference) my way to a similar experience either.

I don't own any of the iFart apps, waste o' time. But the Fring, the Skype, Nimbuzz (which isn't on the Nokia N810, only via web badly) and other things aren't as good on the aforementioned combination. A one piece, location aware piece of kit is great.

The N810 really missed out on using the GPS for that kind of stuff in a lot of apps. And the N800+bluetooth GPS isn't much better. And the whole "I don't like the iPhone apps" mantra usually comes from people that have only read about it or somehow have issues with apps on that platform that actually work quite well.

A location aware Twitteriffic/Twitter app is cool, imho. Doesn't exist in Diablo. Will exist in Fremantle.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
the discussion moved on, but i just have say, that i regret small display size.

i understand nokia targeting smartphone crowd, but i like my n800 functioning as a tablet (bigger), complementary to my phone (smaller) and PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to hyartep For This Useful Post:
I actually wonder though, with the iPhone's Safari you can have several tabs. (Well not in the traditional sense but like several windows of Safari) I think.Wouldn't it be better to have that then the current implementation of one app for one purpose (ignoring the multi purpose apps like the ones that integrate Twitter, IM, and Facebook Status). That way you could leave one window on Facebook, one window on whatever, etc..

Kinda like a Palm Pre multi-tasking but instead using the browser?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
What cheap shots did I take. If I decide I need to find movies near me, Isn't it easier to use the same web gadget that has my same data that I can use on my desktop too, and I'm familiar with and use all the time and has other information as well?

The problem is that the iphone interface to the web, while great for a phone, it doesn't work super great with many desktop oriented web gadgets, because of screen size, resolution and no resistive stylus use, which can select easily, small page elements. None of these issues effect the NITs so we don't have to create re-uied webapps, which is what a large number of iphone apps are, plus the ability to monetize your iphone app. I understand why these iphone apps exist and I don't think they are bad on the iphone (or for that matter the pre). For example, my niece has an ipod touch and I know that using ebay through the app was much easier than trying to use the ebay regular web-interface on the ipod touch, but I can use ebay's regular web-interface just fine on my NIT, because I'm not stuck with a tiny 480-by-320 screen.

By the way I'm not a dev, just a regular user.

Last edited by pataphysician; 2009-08-10 at 19:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification