Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This device looks like exactly what I have been looking forward to, I am typing this from an iPod touch which is pretty great but lacking in the more powerful aspects of maemo. I am hoping for a great hybrid between commercial widget type apps like the iPhone has and the full desktop capability of the maemo platform as presently exists. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Sachin, for a moment lets forget Maemo, lets forget a mobile device and lets just think in general terms of a PC (whic the NIT is).

On your PC, do you think of all or most of your apps as bookmarks ?
Is Word / excel a bookmark (true Good docs is a bookmar, but not all are browser apps).

Is a locally stored GNumeric spreadsheet with all my contacts details a bookmark to a browser app ?

Is my Outlook app with my contacts and calendar info a bookmark ?

Not to mention more intensive desktop apps (photo editing, media handling etc - I am not even going there)

Why do we have an desktop FTP app, and not use a browser based FTP app itself ? Let me tell you - security.

Calling an app as a bookmark to a browser based application is way too simplistic. Then Nokia (or any manufacturer) would have been better served to cut down on all the intericacies and internal API to their OS to only provide a bare bones device with a very good browser, full stop.

Do you see any such mobile device on the market - a dedicated browser pad as yet ? Unless it purports to be such a dedicated device only (liek the Crunchpad) ?
Most if not all those examples you listed wouldn't fit with having it on the web. Again for the reason I listed, what if you don't have internet access. As for Outlook, having locally stored email again is important, what if you don't have internet access? My point was more too the sites that require internet access to use.E.g. Facebook app.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
In a word the problem is poorly formated webpages. The whole apps things works because lots of webpages don't scale well and are too busy. A web only world would work if webpages scale better.

Along these lines one interesting things about iphone was the fact that iphone version pages started to appear. So there is hope if 'iphone' versions became generic smart phone pages (without any fiddling of web browser identity)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by xopher_mc View Post
In a word the problem is poorly formated webpages. The whole apps things works because lots of webpages don't scale well and are too busy. A web only world would work if webpages scale better.
No, it won't. The web is not the world :-) There are still a thousand reasons why device-specific dedicated apps are BETTER than web apps. Too many people think that web is the answer for everthing. It isn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by xopher_mc View Post
So there is hope if 'iphone' versions became generic smart phone pages (without any fiddling of web browser identity)
... if you're happy with 480 pixels width on a Rover that is 800 pixels wide. It ain't my ideal.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's not a teaser. And I'm as frustrated as anyone that there's no news of such a thing...
I have a work phone so I have no need for another phone. I agree about the frustrations, however, T-mobile at least shows signs of hope as a good provider to have in this case. I was just on their website checking out plans and they do have data only plans for as low as $40/month for unlimited use.

You figure if they do come out with a "Just tablet/no phone" model, at least the provider is set up to handle it.

On a seperate note, I love the fact that this thing has TV-out. As these smartphones/tablets get more powerful this is going to be huge. One day, and this day will be soon, people wont have home computers, they will have docking stations for their "smartphone". TV-out, or Micro HDMI out at that point, will be really awesome. And cars (if the manufactures are smart) will start to have the same docking station except the docking station gives you a much larger, more driver friendly touchscreen. I'm excited. In like 5 to 10 years all this stuff we are complaining about will be a thing of the past. Its pretty sweet.

Technically I could work the N900 into my dash like I did my n810, but with a docking port that goes to a 7 inch touchscreen interface instead! And that my friends is pretty freakin solid. Especially with things like Carman.

-Cruelkix

Last edited by Cruelkix; 2009-08-10 at 21:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cruelkix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
First off, I meant to put more emphasis on the lack of major apps -- like a ... glitch-free word processor ... It's been four years and those most basic of major apps never happened. Why is the future going to be so different?
I find it very interesting that after years of senselessly letting Maemo AbiWord languish in a useless, buggy condition, suddenly the developers have been pushing to get it working again...

Better late than never, and head-scratchingly strange that they ignored one of their primary markets (mobile Linux) for so long, but still, very good to see.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I find it very interesting that after years of senselessly letting Maemo AbiWord languish in a useless, buggy condition, suddenly the developers have been pushing to get it working again...

Better late than never, and head-scratchingly strange that they ignored one of their primary markets (mobile Linux) for so long, but still, very good to see.
I'm only guessing, but I imagine that the lack of a decent bluetooth printing capability for Maemo has been a hinderance...

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Android = No brand differentiation.
Are you kidding? Have you seen the Hero?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm only guessing, but I imagine that the lack of a decent bluetooth printing capability for Maemo has been a hinderance...
I think the build of abiword that was used in Sugar for OLPC would be great for maemo. Really stripped down and minimalistic, but it does everything you expect it to.

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification