Active Topics

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
No, it won't. The web is not the world :-) There are still a thousand reasons why device-specific dedicated apps are BETTER than web apps. Too many people think that web is the answer for everthing. It isn't.
So your telling me for every social networking site we need an app? A MySpace app, a Facebook app? Granted currently they do things like allowing uploads from the app, but that could just as easily be coded into their website and avoid having to make one for each platform out there (Windows Mobile, Palm Pre, Android, iPhone, etc..etc..etc..)

And then we have RSS feeds, do we really need one app for each site's RSS Feed? Why not just combine them all together either into one RSS Feed application or some mobile friendly site interface like Google Reader's iPhone version.

I'm not saying that we don't need client centered apps. I'm just saying there's alot of redundancy that could be gotten rid of.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-08-10 at 23:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Well Mobile IE sucks hard enough that I don't think it is possible to make a decent web app for it that will work in WebKit as well.

On a related note, I am disapointed to hear that Nokia is going with Firefox in Maemo 5 instead of Webkit. I mean, some of the original Webkit/KHTML developers work for Nokia now, and Webkit is just plain faster.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Well Mobile IE sucks hard enough that I don't think it is possible to make a decent web app for it that will work in WebKit as well.

On a related note, I am disapointed to hear that Nokia is going with Firefox in Maemo 5 instead of Webkit. I mean, some of the original Webkit/KHTML developers work for Nokia now, and Webkit is just plain faster.
Well may be the cpu and ram are good enough for it... if that is the case... what better browser can you have other than firefox?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Well may be the cpu and ram are good enough for it... if that is the case... what better browser can you have other than firefox?
Why bother even asking the question when you know what his answer is going to be already?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
While I too prefer webkit (Safari, Tear etc) these days, Firefox has the whole extensions thing which is pretty sweet. Omap3, real flash implementation, plus firefox extensions should make for a pretty stunning web browsing experience. Throw in the ability to load Tear, digia @web on there no worries and you have the reasons why maemo is so great, you don't have to choose put them all on there. I hope its easier to change the default app launcher settings in maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've been using KHTML based browsers for 6 years and there's just too many issues with certain sites not working for me to even consider anything Webkit as a main browser right now, so not having the main browser be based on Webkit is probably a good idea for compatibility's sake, if nothing else.

I think Maemo5 should stress customization. So if you install another browser or email client you can switch it so contacts, and bookmarks will open up in the newly default browser.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think Maemo5 should stress customization. So if you install another browser or email client you can switch it so contacts, and bookmarks will open up in the newly default browser.
Something like that can be done, but for Multimedia in the new MAFW, to share playlists and stuff like that. I guess we should wait and see the underlying code in the new MicroB or Fennec (whatever the RX-51 is going to use).

If they share information between developers teams, the team behind the N97 said they pulled info from users showing the importance of customization and they reflected that on the new home screen, full of widgets. So there is a chance Maemo devs built on that for more customizable areas on other sections of the OS (Maemo already supports widgets).

Last edited by mrojas; 2009-08-11 at 00:55.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Well unfortunately, they aren't. The n900 will be no faster than the iPhone or the Pre. Maybe nokia will clock the cpu at around 800mhz instead of 600mhz like the others(at the expense of battery life) but htefact is that even on these devices and even with webkit, web page rendering still takes too long.

I like Firefox and I use it on my desktop, but extensions are a double edged sword. Having too many extensions can make even a desktop or laptop have slow web browsing, so I don't think it is practical to run very many of them on a phone. Flash is the same story. It is nice for compatability, but it isn't fast enough to play games, and watching youtube videos is nowhere near as good as when using a dedicated app. Most sites just use flash for ads, so it isn't such a huge loss. Of course, the nice thing about Maemo now is that you can turn flahs on or off, whereas with the iphone you don't have a choice.

I just want to point out, the Hero has both webkit and flash, so they are not at all mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I gotta disagree. The fact that there are so many of those iPhone apps providing their own interface for those services is basically Apple admiting that their browser is far from ideal on those sites.
And I'll disagree with you. Many people wouldn't know a good web sight to save their life. My hope is the mobile web movement will right the ship. There's better reasons for you to hate Apple. Their mobile web browser is very good.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification