Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Ho, no, they will add new closed code ?

I thought that Maemo 5 would be more free ...
Compare it with the new open-source components used in Fremantle like Pulseaudio, Tracker, Clutter, Upstart, OHM, MAFW, GUPnP, and others. I think this is more free.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Ho, no, they will add new closed code ?

I thought that Maemo 5 would be more free ...
You are making the mistake of focusing on detail while excluding the overall view... which is more open.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
And compared, which is the most Libre: Android phone or Maemo MIT ?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's starting to sound like you're looking for "100% open source" as some sort of bulletpoint on the back of a product box. Doubt Android is 100% open either, but I can't say I have anywhere near the same knowledge of it as I do Maemo, so I could be wrong.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Closed source and lack of updates is the reason why this device is unpopular. If you have a proprietary product at least give your consumers more support than just two SSU's.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Might be just might uninformedness, but... which mobile device has open 3D drivers ? I mean, even on the desktop they are far and few between, but in embedded it seems to be even worse. Still, better a binary a blob than what happened to the N8x0.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I really doubt there are a lot of people out there saying "Oh, I was thinking about getting a Nokia tablet, but then I heard the Wifi and battery handling source code was closed, so forget about it!"

There's less than 10% of the source that's closed. You really believe the average consumer cares about the source *AT ALL*? They don't. It's only the programmers that care about that.. and they don't seem to mind and are even working on their own open sourced versions of the closed packages.

I guess the iPhone's so popular because it's 100% open source, hmm?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I really doubt there are a lot of people out there saying "Oh, I was thinking about getting a Nokia tablet, but then I heard the Wifi and battery handling source code was closed, so forget about it!"

There's less than 10% of the source that's closed. You really believe the average consumer cares about the source *AT ALL*? They don't. It's only the programmers that care about that.. and they don't seem to mind and are even working on their own open sourced versions of the closed packages.

I guess the iPhone's so popular because it's 100% open source, hmm?
No, its popular because people know that apple is working on it to keep it running smoothly. Nokia on the other hand release a product than give up support on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
No, its popular because people know that apple is working on it to keep it running smoothly. Nokia on the other hand release a product than give up support on it.
I guess this entire site just doesn't exist then? Mer? The opening of previously opened packages? Fremantle? Harmattan?

There's only so much support that makes sense. Even Apple EOL's things and stops supporting hardware when it stops making sense to do so.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I guess the iPhone's so popular...
I was just thinking about how important it will be for Nokia to release an OS X version of their PC Suite. I'd say that it is the #1 reason why Mac users would by a tablet -- not the tablet itself.

Sure, the tablet is cool -- and useful and fun and all of that stuff -- but end-users want to be able to have something that interconnects their whole lives. Without Mac software, Mac users will just continue buying Apple stuff.

Tim

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post: