I sure hope that LED indicator is visible from the side. It's one of my favourite features about the N810; being able to glance into my pocket and know instantly whether I have messages.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
i hate this screenshot :-(

edit: forgot happy OS cloning ;-)
Wow, I didn't catch that. What the heck?! It has 32GB guaranteed space and you still can't fit more than six major apps at a time?

In fairness, though, it's probably because they need to be compatible with inferior OS's like Windows, which can't be bothered to support, uh, any file systems other than ntfs and fat. (The tablet uses ext for system stuff, since it's a decent file system). Hopefully it's all on the same card, though, so people who use Linux will be able to resize that partition...

I'm still on the fence about this gadget. I want to see if they have an N910 in the works with phone stuff stripped out; I'm one of those anti-phone people (we have a lot of them here), and I find an intermittent Internet connection actually serves me really well (where I live). Also, the extra thickness here defeats the classic PDA thing again. I want this with a nearly edge-to-edge screen, thin enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
That is unless someone conjures up a really good pay-as-you-go type of data plan for the tablets.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-08-20 at 17:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
Originally Posted by candas1 View Post
The shape next to the button.
It's not a button, could it be an IR port ?

External GPS connector?. It's so flush that it's probably not a button.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've been thinking some more...

I think qgil has been trying to say that there might already be something going on here... He's said on a few occasions that developers who put their apps in the wiki or who show interest in getting Telepathy working in Fremantle won't regret it, and that it would be worth their while...

So developers, get your asses in gear!
I would if I had a device of any type -- I broke my N810 and so I haven't had a platform to do any testing. ;-( I figured I would wait until the n900 came out and pick it up.

Nathan.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The SDK should be enough to have your apps in extras-devel. There you might get testers that will help you bringing it to extras-testing. If you want to discuss please continue in a more specific thread.

PS: don't worry about space for 3rd party apps.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
PS: don't worry about space for 3rd party apps.
OK, I have many 100MB games, should I worry about the space?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I strongly disagree. I think this will help my accuracy hence speed. But the proof is in the use, so I won't purport to speak for others.

..and saying it's automatically worse is yours. Hey, let's battle on the internet over opinions we can't test yet!
No where in my (2nd) post did I use words like "automatically" or "worse". I stated facts like "People using left hand are forced to use right humb". And I made "observations" of peoples reaction to the keyboard. None of which is my "opinion". But ok.

Last edited by sevla; 2009-08-20 at 18:27.

To be honest, I am a little bit dissapointed, to the point that I will probably not buy it.
There are a few issues with it:
1. 3.5" screen. This is really small for 800x480. Even the 810 screen is kind of too small for it, and after a while it will hurt your eyes.

2. Smaller battery (1350 mAh vs 1500 mAh). Not sure if the new CPU and RAM is more power hungry, but I would expect a shorter uptime.

3. The fact that it has a phone in it. This increases the price and size, and not everyone needs a phone in it. I like to have a featureless, small, cheap phone, which i use, for, well, phone purposes. If I drop it, I won't cry for it. If someone calls me while I am doing stuff on my internet tablet, the current application won't lose focus. If I play a game or watch a movie and the battery is drained, I can still talk on the phone. If I go on the beach, I don't have to take my expensive internet tablet with me and have it stollen or get sand in it.

So if they come up with a phoneless model, great, I'd buy it, but until then I'll just use my N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
OK, I have many 100MB games, should I worry about the space?
All those Quake 3 mods you love playing.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
I sure hope that LED indicator is visible from the side. It's one of my favourite features about the N810; being able to glance into my pocket and know instantly whether I have messages.

Wow, I didn't catch that. What the heck?! It has 32GB guaranteed space and you still can't fit more than six major apps at a time?

In fairness, though, it's probably because they need to be compatible with inferior OS's like Windows, which can't be bothered to support, uh, any file systems other than ntfs and fat. (The tablet uses ext for system stuff, since it's a decent file system). Hopefully it's all on the same card, though, so people who use Linux will be able to resize that partition...

I'm still on the fence about this gadget. I want to see if they have an N910 in the works with phone stuff stripped out; I'm one of those anti-phone people (we have a lot of them here), and I find an intermittent Internet connection actually serves me really well (where I live). Also, the extra thickness here defeats the classic PDA thing again. I want this with a nearly edge-to-edge screen, thin enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
That is unless someone conjures up a really good pay-as-you-go type of data plan for the tablets.
the LED indicator is on the front..

you can install applications in the 32GB

it was discussed before in this thread..

Originally Posted by Radu View Post
If I go on the beach, I don't have to take my expensive internet tablet with me and have it stollen or get sand in it.
That is because you might live somewhere in one of those Eastern European countries...
Instead of being afraid of your belongings left on the beach might get stolen , guys, get yourself some civilization, some good justice system...

There is nothing wrong with N900 device being a phone, if they stole your cheap phone on the beach with all your contacts, isn't that also bad? What I'm saying: here people would not stole the phone on the beach, if this happens in your country, don't try to strip this phone of some features... just fix your country!