Active Topics

Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
The N900 browser screenshots that Eldar posted don't match the Fennec Beta or does that just mean that Nokia are using the Fennec browser with their own custom skin?
No idea. I just remember that long time ago somebody from Nokia said that the plan is to use Fennec in Fremantle.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by manda View Post
Ahem.. dear to share source of you info about this 'VGA 30fps' part? I was searching this info for a loong time. Until now I only saw HD camera in specs.
No source This is the N97 video capture spec and it has the same camera module as the N900. It is possible that the N900 will record in a higher resolution and even slightly possible that they could offer a super high frame rate mode.

I will edit the summary sheet to say "VGA 30fps minimum"

Last edited by Espoo888; 2009-08-26 at 12:32.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
"Maemo Talk" (only recently renamed from Internet Tablet Talk)
Actually, it was renamed to "maemo.org Talk" or just "Talk" if you want to be accurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Serbia will catch up eventually; just a bit slower than most of Europe I found there were tons of open WiFi APs as well.
Yes, we're just a solid 3-4 years behind the curve in most regards, in some issues more, in some less In any case, never-ever use roaming for internet. For voice calls, your hands might be tied, but for data it almost always pays off to buy a PAYG SIM and throw it away (or keep it as a souvenir as I do ). Case in point - my latest trip to Montenegro: The cost of a SIM with a 250MB package is 15 euros (or 2GB for 30), no strings attached. Now, calculate how much roaming megabytes does 15 euros buy you.

IMO the secrecy and disallowing certain services should be made illegal by law, while customers pay more precisely what they pay for/use without worrying.
THEY are who are cheating and trying to weasel out their way out of it. Say it's X bandwidth, or X amount of data and charge it accordingly. Do not say unlimited when you are limiting it (regardless of the reason). Otherwise, it's misleading at best and fraud at worst.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-08-26 at 13:35.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fms View Post
"Browser" is apparently Fennec.
Better source this one. This doesn't connect with what I know about MicroB in Fremantle, and it certainly doesn't match the screenshots we've seen so far.

Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
The N900 browser screenshots that Eldar posted don't match the Fennec Beta or does that just mean that Nokia are using the Fennec browser with their own custom skin?
Well, MicroB and Fennec are just Firefox at the core, so, technically, yes, Nokia is just using a custom skin.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
No idea. I just remember that long time ago somebody from Nokia said that the plan is to use Fennec in Fremantle.
I'd like to see this sourced, as it doesn't fit with what I know about Fremantle and MicroB.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Going to "about:" in Fremantle it says "MicroB".

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well it seems better than what the previous models in their high end line up are (not really best selling model in that categories compared to their competitors), or compared to the previous NIT (technologically inferior, dated).

And frankly... we're rght in the middle of a product launch hype. So, the honeymoon hasn't even begun
The n900 is definitely the best phone in the market in terms of specs and the OS. I think nokia did always want to include phone capability on maemo, but they just had to take a longer time to the market. They chose to deliver a perfect device rather than update mms or copy paste features. Well the iphone still doesnt have multi-tasking and not many people with a sound knowledge of mobile technology will agree that the iphone is a smartphone. And the n900 is definitely not hyped up. It is what it is unlike what some rabid iphone users think that it is the jesus phone. So u are 100% wrong in saying that nokia never got it.... infact they always got it... they just waited for perfection, although i like to have the latest and greatest just to take care of my techie itch

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Wow sachin, you sound very objective today Exactly someone I'd like to get sound product analysis from..

If you want to call other rabid fans... make REALLY sure you're not a rabid fanboi yourself please

Last edited by ysss; 2009-08-26 at 14:19.

A word on price.

In my opinion, the closest competitor to the N900 is the HTC Touch Pro2.
Leaked price: €385 link
Announced price: €670 link
Current price: €510 link
Current price, my country: €670 inc. vat.

Another comparable product is, of course, the Nokia N97. It'd be unrealistic to believe the N900 wouldn't be more expensive than the less omnipotent N97. And here's the thing.
Announced price: €550. Apparently exclusive vat. link
Current price: €490 link
Current price, my country: €580 inc. vat.

We can also compare the product to the older SE Xperia X1, also with a keyboard and 800x480 pixels.
Leaked price: €800. link
Announced price: ? See leaked price.
Current price: €445 link
Current price, my country: €450.

So, is the price of the N900 so bad?
Leaked price: €550. It is the same as the announced N97 price. For a far more powerful device.
Edit: Announced price: €500 ex. VAT

I do realize that lots of people don't want a N900 phone, but instead a N900 tablet. Well, that would have been cheaper. But this N900 is a cellphone, too. So, considering what it actually is, instead of what it could have been...

I don't think it's fair to complain about this price.

Last edited by volt; 2009-08-28 at 08:28. Reason: updated price

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Did anyone notice that the screenshots are ALL 500x300 ???

They don't see to have being reduce.

I strongly think this is just a NEW phone with Maemo, but it is NOT a new Internet Tablet.