Originally Posted by kelkinny2004 View Post
Hmmm....the screen size is disappointing. My wife has an iphone and it's too small for me. Especially after using the N810 for so long.

For now, I'll stay with the n810. Darn, I was waiting for the new one.
New 'one'? I think we can expect a lot more than just one new Maemo phone! Just sit tight, let Nokia keep showing, and enjoy the ride

I didn't see anything in the specs that might indicate if this will have native support for external input devices. It's got USB OTG & BT and I assume a keyboard will work, but will mouse support be better than on the NXX series?

With the TV out & the good mouse support, this could easily replace a laptop.

Originally Posted by urnass View Post
I didn't see anything in the specs that might indicate if this will have native support for external input devices. It's got USB OTG & BT and I assume a keyboard will work, but will mouse support be better than on the NXX series?

With the TV out & the good mouse support, this could easily replace a laptop.
On that thought, since this is charged using the micro usb port, can you charge it and use OTG devices at the same time? (i.e. charge and use a usb mouse or keyboard or flash drive). I would love to use the tv out and the usb to hook this up to an after market LCD touchscreen for 7" on incar delight! After all, Nokia says this thing doesnt really "need' the harware keyboard with Maemo 5.

So yeah Charge plus OTG usb devices? Yes or no?

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
USB Host?

Even with relatively simple internal editor it would be great to download photos from camera, tag and only later import into full blown photo management system on desktop (or send directly to flickr).

Also - I really want to see digiKam on this

Also2 - I wonder if with declared openness will be some day possible to access RAW files from Nokia camera.
There is an app USBHost which probably works on the N900 and otherwise when you have an SD with MicroSD in it on your camera you can easily plug it into the Micro SD slot as with the N810.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That's more vague than I'd like. I'd be nice to know if it records in Simple or Advanced Simple. Part 10 seems highly unlikely, and they'd probably call that one out a bit more directly were it used.
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
No codecs for Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora. But I would have been very surprised if Nokia shipped with those codecs.
Isn't this all GStreamer? Ogg and Theora should be included in the base codecs package. As for sjgadsby's questions, I'm curious too... But it seems to me that recording in other formats with community-written software shouldn't be too difficult.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
FLAC support and 32GB might be enough to make me buy this. If this costs $199 on contract, I can see Nokia moving a LOT of hardware.

Edit: Also, yesterday, Google put up like a million ebooks for free in EPUB format. Hopefully FBReader will be available. That said, reading books on the n800 is a painful experience. Literally, it hurts to have to push the tiny button over and over to turn the page, and the touch screen just plain doesn't work properly for page turning. It's the little things like this that make me hesitate, because it all seems so nice in theory.

Last edited by drizek; 2009-08-27 at 18:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to drizek For This Useful Post:
I have a quick question.

I live in the US and have a AT&T connection. I had a Nokia 6102i initially with them, with the data plan.

I ordered a e71 through Amazon.com (unlocked, obviously). I then inserted the SIM card from the 6102i to the e71, and everything worked. The data rate is 3.5G where I live, and is absolutely awesome.

Now, can I order this n900, and if I just remove the SIM from my e71 and insert it into my n900, will it continue to work? Same speed?

(The thing is, I am not a fan of buying subsidized cheaper phones from carriers. I would rather get some toy from them, buy a costly unlocked phone straight from vendor and insert the SIM in there. This way I can use the same handset in other countries)

I don't think the n900 has the same 3G frequency as AT&T uses, so it'll work as a GSM phone and using EDGE for data but no 3G. This also excludes ALL of Canada since there's only one GSM provider here at the moment.

Originally Posted by harisund View Post
I live in the US and have a AT&T connection. I had a Nokia 6102i initially with them, with the data plan.

I ordered a e71 through Amazon.com (unlocked, obviously). I then inserted the SIM card from the 6102i to the e71, and everything worked. The data rate is 3.5G where I live, and is absolutely awesome.

Now, can I order this n900, and if I just remove the SIM from my e71 and insert it into my n900, will it continue to work? Same speed?
It should work, that is after all the entire point of SIM cards, so that users can swap phones whenever they want.

If you lived here in Europe I could guarantee 100% that it would work. I do it all the time, I have one SIM card between half a dozen phones and never have any problems.

Unfortunately the sometimes rather awful people who operate phone networks in North America seem to put in all kinds of dirty tricks to try and absolutely control everything their users do.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-08-27 at 19:24.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Flash Player 9.4, eh?

<sigh>

(Fixed in Harmattan?)

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post: